1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do I get more power out of a combo with out an external speaker output?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr. Kitty, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Mr. Kitty

Mr. Kitty

Mar 14, 2008
    I own an Ampeg BA-115 and I was wondering how I could get more power out of it without buying a completely new amp. I list the problems with this below.

Not only does it not have an external speaker output, this is what it does have:
    a line out
    headphones jack
    CD input
    and a passive and active bass inputs.

is there any way to connect another speaker to it? it looses some of its tone when I turn it up more than half ways i loose a lot of tone...is there anyway that i could make it so i don't loose as much tone or so that i don't have to push the speaker so hard?

and by the way it is a 1x15 combo.

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Sell it and upgrade.

That amp was built with limitations.

3. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I improved the tone and also had less distortion by changing the speaker on my Workingman 10. I installed a Avatar version of an Eminence Neo. I was planning to get rid of the amp till I ran into a deal on the speaker and tried it. I was so impressed with the improvement that I kept it. It also reduced the weight by 6 lbs.

4. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    You're just gonna to have to get a bigger amp for any real noticable difference.

5. Mr. Kitty

Mr. Kitty

Mar 14, 2008
    what speakers would give me less tone distortion?

and

if i did upgrade what amp within the 300-500 price range would you reccommend?

6. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    did not realized that you had 3 to 5 to hundred dollars!!! forget about the speaker upgrade and get a used rig from the classified on the forum. It will take a little research but there is a lot of good inexpensive gear out there. Peavey heads are a good deal and rock solid. Also Avatar cabs.

7. Mr. Kitty

Mr. Kitty

Mar 14, 2008
    haha!:smug:

i'll do that...

the upgrade may not happen right away but i'll try to find something...

8. Kennethfaria

Kennethfaria Banned

Mar 12, 2008
    get a 210 or 112x2
    as for the amp to driveit, i have absolutely no idea.

EDIT: yeah peaveys really are, especially the old ones. The reason i keep recommending them is simple because they wont break. (well the old ones) My school has one of the 15" combos. MIA. Just solid its been dropped about 7" several times ( no joke) and its still running.

Avatar cabs are great as well. But if youre adventurous, You could DIY. Look up BFM. nothing easier/better sounding than those. And it doesnt cost much to build.

9. Mr. Kitty

Mr. Kitty

Mar 14, 2008
    kay i'll look into it!

thanks again for all the help!

10. Revvv

Revvv

Oct 31, 2007
    Georgia
    I play with a Hartke B900. It's a 1X15 with only 90 watts. For extra punch and volume I run a line out to the PA. That allows me to keep the tone of the Hartke.