How do I get my cd listened to?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rickr, Jan 28, 2003.

1. rickr

rickr Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Does anyone have any advise on how to
    get the Maximum exposure I can on my solo
    cd? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  2. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    People will listen to it here but I don't think that's what you mean.
  3. A friend of mine put his CD up as an mp3, then bought copies himself. The royalties he got went back into buying more copies himself, and eventually he sold enough (to himself) to get into the top 10 mp3s. Once you're in the top 10, the sales take off of their own accord, because most CD buyers only look at the top 10. He ended up making $26K in 6 months after his own purchases.
  4. rickr-Hey, I have a solo CD, too. I put an ad in Bass Player for 3 months and didn't get a single response. I was a little bummed.

What we need to do is get each TBer to buy a copy from us....

I'm only asking $5 for mine and I pay for shipping. This isn't a CDR, either...
  5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Contact local college radio stations-

Go there and give them a copy, or find out who to mail a copy to. They will probably play it.

Go to local bars, bowling alleys, or anyplace with a CD jukebox, and ask if they will put your CD in the jukebox. If they do, pop in once-in-a-while (preferably during busy hours) and play your CD.

(I'm gigging with a local unsigned artist right now who has done just what I have mentioned above).
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

IME, (at least these days), you'll sell the most by touring your ass off and selling them at shows. and are two websites that go above and beyond the call of duty to help out lesser known artists.

If you're thinking about the majors, send them the same CD under 10 different names to increase the odds some A&R schmuck will give it a listen.
  7. Yes, CDBaby will work with you...I am in the process of checking into them....
  8. Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    My band took our CD to a few bars to have it put in the jukebox. Because the bar owner didn't own the jukebox, they couldn't put it in without having to contact the company that owns it. The person who comes around every few weeks to take money and put in new songs freaked out on being asked to add our CD without more proof that it was our material, even though it says copyright all over the thing. It was pretty weird, but after much hassle, we got it done.
  9. we have had our cds heard on college radio,we play the songs at our gigs,we have been togrther for three years now ,we also were played on local radio clear channel broadcasting some stations have programs for local artists,i have given out at least 50 free cds which i have covered the cost ,our stuff is being listened to all over the world,last nights gig was one of the best,the house was packed and they all came to see us because of word of mouth,we are booked every weekend .we played over 140 gigs last year plus working our day jobs,as far as getting rich and famous,i already have enough debt so i dont want any more,i would just like to, not have to worry so much anymore good luck i hope you sell a lot of cds
  10. The internet makes possible the exposing of your music to many people. But the "industry" (which influences people to want your cd) is still controlled by gatekeepers. You need a keymaster. They cost money.

Gatekeepers are like a lot of people in life: they're scared of their job. Therefore they're most comfortable with keymasters who use money to knock the edge of their anxieties. If you have the money, you're 95% of the way home. Money is why people think so many bands "suck".
  11. You need perseverance, drive and a generous helping of plain old dumb luck.

(And good music. You can have heaps of all of the above and still fail without that....the most important thing.)
  12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Give it to me... for free.
  13. $5 for all you TBers....on-line special only....My CD...and I cover postage, too....
  14. I don't want to dishearten you (but I am The Curmudgeon, after all...) - this link might give you a reality check...

- Wil