Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how do i get myself noticed

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lewibassist, Jun 9, 2003.

1. hiya ll im gettin very frustrated because i have been playin bass nerly 5 years and i pratice like for 4 hours every day and more if i can and bass is my life but im still in high school ive tried gettin into bands but noone wants to know but its all heavy metal.ive spent like loads on all my gear.But i wanna know how u get your self noticed as a good bass player or even just a bass player.i realy wanna play gigs but there is no bands availible i can play most of vics stuff and sum of stuus tapping and i try my best and its realy frustartin :( can anyone give me any help on how to get noticed or heard all help will be appreciated greatly thxx

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I don't know. I'm in the same boat :p

I'm 17, been playing 5 years, have a lot of chops, but don't know what to do with them :D

we should start a help-group :D

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Post an add.
    There is always people looking for bassplayers.
    There are several rules for the audition : no slap, no tap, no effects, no watchamacalit crazy chop demonstration.
    Just be very groovy and accurate.
    You're in.

4. um, what have you tried? do you go to local shows and see small, independant bands and mingle with the "scene?" this is where you'll most likely find musicians.

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Simple, go to a GC, or any other large chain music store, and thump out higher ground....make sure your timing and feel is very poor as well.

Over, and over, and over again.

Best of luck

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Talk to people at your local music stores, post up a classified ad there, "Bassist seeking band".

Get out to local clubs and talk to the band members, all of them. Get your name out. Sometimes they'll let you sit in, and then will know what you're capable of, then will tell anyone else they know that they had a killer bassist sit in, and is looking for a gig. Word of mouth is everything. Even if you don't sit in, they mighy hear of someone else looking to replace a bassist.

Get lessons from several different teachers. You may or may not need the lesson itself, but each teacher knows other musicians . . .

Check for online musician boards in your area. Do anything and everything you can for exposure, but make sure its respectible, there IS such thing as "bad" exposure.

7. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Try open jam sessions, a lot of bars and venues do this on week days when bands don't play, it may be hard if your under 21 to get into these places, try to get in with an older person just tell them your with one of the bands (that's what I use to do) make sure you have your axe in your hand when you walk in. I have played in a lot of places before I was 21. I had to bring my dad with me but whatever I got to jam and meet a lot of cool people. Ad's at music stores or local music guides always help. Just get out there and start talking to people, hang out at the local music stores, if you see someone jamming a guitar playing some cool riffs go introduce yourself. If he/she is in a band they may know someone who needs a bassist. I think you will find we are the ones that are in demand. Hope this helps!

8. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I just noticed your from the UK, I used 21 because the legal drinking age where I'm from is 21, I'm not sure what it is in the UK but you know what I mean. GOOD LUCK

9. Look for "Bass Wanted" ads at stores and such and give them a call and try out. You can't get noticed if you don't go out and play for bands. This is really the only way your going to find a band unless you have a group of friends that want to start a band. Peace

10. Sure way to get noticed:

duck tape an alarm clock and 6 to 10 red candles to your chest. Go into a well populated public place and yell "Everybody listen up!", or something like that, and trust me many people will notice you. :)

read sig.

11. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    you said yr still in school, so if your school has a jazz band, you could play with them, and then if your jazz band plays, you'll bee seen, and there are guitarists and drummers in jazz band. i met my band @school through the music program. depending on what style you play, you may not find any people who like the same stuff to be in a band with anyway.

12. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    That is the longest sentence I've ever read! :D Yeah, I agree 100% with everything that is being said here, good luck!

13. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!

:D :D :D

14. thank u all v mutch im tryin to do most of the stuff u sugested its been very helpfull i just joind the school jazz band and im gunna b in a concert soon soo hopefully i mite find somethin through jazz band and ive been talkin to a few people around and they said that they will keep a look out on wanted bassists thanks again for all ure help
    lewis

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Got any recordings that you'd like to share? gain some attention on TB?