How do I get really low action on a Stingray 5?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Panther, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia

I was wondering on how to get a nice, low setup on a SR5.

I can easily/quickly lower the saddles bringing the strings quite low, but the result is a bunch if dead notes after the 12th fret-mostly on the A& D strings.

Are the dead notes correctable with truss rod adjustments, or should I lower it to the point where I want it to be, and then take it into a pro-shop and have it finished there?

2. Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia

I took a quick read through, but it never mentioned one thing I was concerned about...can I OVERTIGHTEN/OVERTURN the rod? Will it end up looking like a violin when I am done?

Last night, when I had lowered the saddles, I gave it maybe a half-turn, and was afraid I may cause more harm.....maybe that wasn't enough?

Where would the limit be on tightening the rod before things are all out of whack?
  3. Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    I think I may have answered my question on a re-read:

"If after lowering the strings, the notes buzz only above the 12th fret, then there's too much bow in the neck. You'll need to tighten the truss rod"
  4. First of all be very very careful on how you mess about with the bass.

Secondly the neck relief is the thing to look at, the bridge saddles will make some difference but the neck relief is what to check.

On my 4 string Stingray with low e fretted at first fret and last fret and the string height measured at the 8th fret its approx 1mm and my action is very low yet still hardly gives me string rattle etc.

Check the Ernie Ball web site as they give data on action set ups etc.

The neck relief is how much it is straight or bowed in relation to the string tension, too straight and it will ratlle on every fret too much of a bowed curve and it will rattle near the headstock and the body but not in the middle. Be careful adjusting the truss rod only small amounts at a time. Get a shop to help if you not confident as many a good bass has been ruined by truss rod damage !!

The string to pickup height is about 4 to 5mm from bottom of string to top of pole piece

Measured at 12th fret my open strings are about 2.5mm off the fret on the E and A and approx 1.5mm on the D and G strings. Your low B should be about 3mm at a guess
  5. How do I measure milimeters? Where can I find a ruler that small?
  6. Come...come to Canada for millimetres... :bassist:
  7. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Get a feeler gauge at any decent hardware store. Also worth having for setups is a 6" machinists ruler. Use the feeler gauge to measure relief and the machinists ruler to measure string and pickup height.

8. I also discovered (the hard way) that another trick, aside from the action and neck relief, is string tension. Make sure you have enough string windings around the posts to give maximum tension. If not, there will be string buzz despite your action and neck relief settings. I have 3 windings aroound the B,E,A and D string posts and 4 windings around the G string post. Of course this is all dependent on your string gauge.