Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do I get rid of fret buzzing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by VinnyP666, Sep 16, 2002.

1. VinnyP666

VinnyP666

Aug 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    I have an Ibanez btb-405-qm which I really like, but there is buzzing in the 1st and second frets most of the srtrings. Is there a way I can fix this without highering my bridge?

Thanks

2. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    You may need a little more bow in the neck, although this usually manifests itself more towards the lower middle frets, e.g. 7th fret. You also may be able to file down the offending frets a bit, but be very careful as you can easily mess this up.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

In case you find you seem to be beating your head against a wall on the problem, or, you want to make sure you're not;

- have a tech or luthier check it out to make sure the nut slots are cut correctly

Cutting nut slots is a combination of art and of science that the machines used for mass production instruments often don't do well.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Before you make any major alterations, go get a professional set up first. That may help you.

5. VinnyP666

VinnyP666

Aug 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    I wouldnt want to file down the fret bc I would definitly mess it up. I'll probably bring it to guitar center an tell em to look at it b/c I have a 1 year warrenty, so maybe they will do it for free.

6. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    While the best luthiers probably don't work for Guitar Center, taking it there is your best bet. Hopefully they won't be backed up on work and can look at it right away for you.