Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how do i get rid of that un wanted noise

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by T-BIRD bassist, Jun 24, 2004.

1. T-BIRD bassist

T-BIRD bassist

Jun 24, 2004
    Whe i play i anchor my thumb to the pickup and when i play the A-string my fingers hit the E string and make a lot of unwanted noise how do I Stop this?

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    by practicing not to do it?

3. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    When you play the A-string, try resting your thumb on the E. I know it will take a while to get used to, but it will dampen the E very well once you do.

travis

4. With your thumb anchored on the pickup or thumb rest, try muting the noisy strings with your 3rd and 4th fingers. A lighter touch may also help because you won't be hitting the E so hard...

5. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    resting your thumb on the E will do it and is not so hard. resting your thumb on the other lower strings is what takes getting used to. I'd suggest you just practice. it will come to you. for me, i dont always mute the E string, I just move my fingers upwards back into the position they were in before i plucked the string.

6. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    this is true. but you could also maybe anchor your thumb on the E string while playing on A. and just rest your thumb on the pickup while playing the E. and rest your thumb on A while playing D, and D while playing G. that's just something that people have reccomended. once you practice moving them like that it will just start flowing man.