Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do I get rid of this dead spot.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Feb 3, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have a dead spot on the 9th fret / F# on the A string. I bought the fatfinger dealy to remove or at least move it and it didn't work at all... waste of $40cdn. Others have commented that it may be the string, but my gut feeling tells me its not the string; it doesn't have the "feel" of a string problem.

BTW i play a fender geddy lee jazz, which of course has a pretty thin neck. Could neck thinness be part of the problem?

I really need to fix this problem as it seems i use this note/fret spot all the time and it sounds lifeless.

Suggestions please :help:

2. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I am fairly sure its a dead spot. The note is almost lifeless, with no depth or oomph relative to the others.

There is a possibility that it is the string, but i really dont think it is as this dead spot has been there ever since i bought the bass. Additionally, I just dont think its the string. Call it a gut feeling.

Others have said that depending where the fatfinger is placed on the headstock will move the dead spot. In my situation where should i put the fatfinger? At the very top of the headstock? That might work, but it would look dorky.

The last tech guy i brought the bass to didnt impress me. He didnt lower the action that much and he didnt address this problem. I guess i could try another tech, but now i am kind of wary of spending more $ for a service that does little. The tech i used is from the biggest store where i live. I really dont know who else to try. Besides, i am hoping to save myself some money and fix it myself.

Others have noted that dead spots usually occur on the G string. Is it an anomally for it to occur on the A string?

3. jvbjr

jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    Does the same F# on the D string sound dead as well?

The concept of the Fatfinger is to change the mass of the bass so that the resonant frequency moves either above or below the usable notes on teh instrument.

If this is the ONLY F# on the bass that is dead, you do NOT have a resonant frequency problem.

It could be something as simple as the 10th fret is a little higher there and the string is making minute contact and that is killing the free vibration.

I would change the strings first, I read your anti-strings issue, but the truth is you have very little experience inregards to repair, so why not give it a try?

Check the relief of the neck, press the E string at 1st and 22nd frets, you should have about 1mm of relief at the 7th fret. If you have less space, this could be a problem as well.

Perhaps a 1/2 turn on the A's bridge saddle to raise that a tad will change the angle enough to let the string ring true.

Techs in music stores SUCK, you need to find a guy that fixes guitars to make a living, not to quiet a mass merchandisers' customers. Look in your phone book under "guitar repair" and go to a guy that that is ALL he does.

4. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada

I am going to buy new strings. I will be very interested to see if that fixes the problem. I hope it does, but i dont think it will. The fact is I need new strings anyway as the G is jimmied to the tuner peg with a guitar string and goes out of tune often.

I will try the suggestion of raising the A a tad.

And no, the F# on the D is fine. So that means that fatfinger is useless and I should take it off? I may be able to exchange it for a new set of strings. That would be great.

5. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Yeah, you probably just have a bum string or a fret that needs some loving care. Much more likely the string.

6. Sungodv

Sungodv

Mar 27, 2005
    Colorado
    You can't get rid of a dead spot...you can move it with a c-clamp or FatFinger, but the only true way is to change the neck....or the whole bass....

7. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    The threaded insert and machine screw deal at the neck might help.

8. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    have you tested the bass through a different cab in a different room? there is a possibility the combination of cab placement and the rooms acoustic resonance is causing the F# to eat itself. Sometimes I play my bass through my computer monitors and the C on my A string 3rd fret is really soft in relation to the other notes. I tested a synth bass patch through the same monitors (no chance of a dead spot with a keyboard!!) and the C was also soft... so in short the cab and room can play a part in deadspots.

Do try a new string, but personally I have never gotten rid of a deadspot with any setup, new string etc.. you just gotta buy a bass without one (very hard to find!!).