1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do I get such sound?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Oleg BassPlayer, Dec 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Oleg BassPlayer

Oleg BassPlayer

Feb 4, 2016
    Ukraine
    I'm curious how do I get such bass sound as on this recording (right at the place I put a link to and on the whole album, too)? So that it is well-heard through the mix, with that metal timbre. I've been suggested to add some high mids, but on my amp I have only simple low-mid-high knobs, so I can't really imitate that vibe. Should I get a full-blown EQ for that?

here it's better heard:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  2. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Quite snappy "metallic" sound, yes.

Can't say for certain how you are going to get your bass to sound like that though.

Will depend on a lot of factors, the string type and freshness of the strings you use, the type and placement of your pickups, your amp and what kind of speaker unit(s) you got your cab equipped with and yes certainly how you chose to EQ your bass too.

My best bet is fresh steel strings (though pure steel strings are kind of rough on the fingers), possibly bridge pickup only (although that may make your tone too thin sounding, depending on what kind of pickups you are using), and then yes, get yourself an EQ pedal.

Some decent EQ pedals can be had quite cheap, just chose one with a lot of adjustment options in the higher mids/lower highs frequency range and experiment with which frequencies to boost and which frequencies not to boost (or eventually cut) to get that tone.

A really great, but fairly expensive option for an EQ pedal I can warmly recommend is the MXR M-108 Ten Band Graphic EQ.

A really cheap option would be if you can get hold of both the the Behringer BEQ700 and EQ700, respectively a 7 band graphic EQ designed for bass and a 7 band EQ designed for guitar, together they will cover 12 different frequency bands, and the only difference between the two models technically would be that they cover different frequencies, with two overlapping bands.

Basically they are clones of the Boss 7 band graphic equalizer pedals, and they are actually quite decent, only problem is that you actually only get two of those bands that could possible be crucial for obtaining that tone you want, which is the 800Hz band, which is to be found on both pedals, and the 1,6Khz band you'll only find on the guitar model, additionally you might want to boost the 3,2Khz band a little, also only to be found on the guitar version, and eventually you might find it beneficial to boost or cut some other bands too in order to get the tone more precisely dialed in.

In comparison you would only get the 1 Khz and 2 Khz band on the MXR 10 band EQ that would probably be the main contributers to achieve that tone, so might be you are better off with something that offers frequency bands closer to the Behringer after all.

Or you might need to go with a parametric EQ, which I honestly don't have much experience with, but typically a parametric EQ will let you chose a center frequency band to boost or cut and have a much broader frequency band range to both side of the center frequency chosen, where a graphic EQ will be quite narrow and more of a pinpointing nature.

Hope this was more enlightening than confusing.

If not you better wait for someone with a clearer idea of what needs to be done to chime in.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Great advice all around, but...

A parametric EQ will let you choose the frequency center, amount of boost or cut AND how wide of a bandwidth that EQ channel applies to.
    They are adjustable from being much wider to much narrower than any one band of a graphic EQ.
    If it has the frequency sweep but not the Q control it's semi-parametric.

IMG_0990.

4. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    sound kinda Pbass-ish

lot of metal player have overdrive/distortion to have that clacky treble with lot of bottom

5. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Start with fresh strings and clean pick playing.

Basstards likes this.
  6. MuffledBoomy

MuffledBoomy

Apr 19, 2017
    Tulsa
    None
    Use a guitar amp. Sounds like two different basses but probably same amp or direct patch.

7. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    Pick (.88mm nylon or similar)

To me it sounds like a Passive J bass panned 90%-100% to the neck pickup.

That's it. No Extra EQ or effects needed. Maybe a slight bass boost to fill the bottom end.

1bassleft likes this.
  8. A cheap start is a few of the Jim Dunlop nylon plectra: .88 is the thinnest I would use myself, probably going for the 1mm to get that dig and backlash but you might be different and find the .73 is best. They're very cheap, so get a few. Try striking very close to the pickup mainly but move closer to the neck on some of the faster alternate picking to reduce the attack sounding too dakdakdakdakdak.

9. Spending a bit more money, I got that TANG sound using Elites 45-105 stainless steels but they weren't cheap and the E lost that sparkle quite quickly. Some of the Chinese active circuits on ebay etc also produce that tone quite effectively and there are lots of Youtube demos where people have installed them and play them. I like the uploads 11Coopbass does, even though it's a completely different style of music.
    Spending more money, EL34 valve amps have a particular sound on bass that seem to emphasize ringing sub-harmonics and add some growl even at low volume. I've tried some pedals with an ECC83/12AX7, but a lot of them lose the low end as the gain is increased and I started to sound like a rhythm guitar. I bought a Nobels splitter to give me a clean signal as well but never got to try it out live.