Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do I get that "braaapp" sort of sound?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassman1185, Jul 10, 2001.

1. I just heard 311's new song "you wouldn't believe" yesterday, and the bassist had a pretty funky sound going, it was, like I said, a sort of "brraapp" sound, almost like he was going too low for his speakers to handle. I've heard it before, mostly on older funk stuff. I'm just curious about what that effect is. thanks

2. can u put a sample in here ?
    it helps a lot..

i'm not to familiar with " braaap " " pieuw " " poeiw " and " dumdum di dum " sounds :D

3. Um, sounds like he was using the "Heinzez Beanzez" insert, or more commonly known as "Effect 57"...

Just a thought ;>

- Wil

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

bassman - I've heard the song. It's simply a detuned, large gauge, E or B, unless he's using a 7 string. Just crank your tuning gear down and you'll be in that frequency territory.

The other issue is can your speaker(s) handle it? Live, it would take a good 15" or 18", IMO. The PA bass bins could certainly reproduce it.

Grain of salt - Also, as I always say, all things are possible in the studio.

5. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    Brraapp? Wasn't that the batman is kicking ass sound? You know, Brrapp, Ka-Pow, Shlanizie...

6. no.. that was " PRAP ! " , in the world-famous series of :

" POW ! "

" ZZZAP ! "

" PUNCH ! "

" uNf uNf ! "

:D

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i don't know... have you tried warm beer?

8. DanceHallCrasher seems to be a hardcore 311 fan. He might know.

9. In an interview w/ P-nut, that 311 guy, he said that live he used a wireless that basically rolled off everything BELOW 100 hz. He stated that he was fine with that. I'm fairly sure it would have been bass player mag. that would annoy the heck outta me.

10. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    everything below 100hz! :eek: thats like the entire e string! well im exagerating but still thats not a rolloff, thats a side of a cliff! :eek: :eek:

11. It sounded more like he boosted the heck out of the low range, not cut it off, but now that I think about it, that might have been it.

12. slapper3

slapper3

Jan 13, 2001
    anyway he uses a warwick streamer five......it's just the B string onit sounds goofy because of his plucking style and the wireless that takes the low out and makes it that bumby braaaaaap sound... he's my favorite bass player....very talented.....