1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

how do I get that "farting/growling" type tone?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by chump stain, Nov 12, 2001.

1. I'm sittin here listening to Grammatrain's "for me" (cool band, cool song). the bass really cuts through, but in a really pleasing way IMO. this may be the sound I've been searching for. I don't think the bass is being distorted or overdrivin, but I could be wrong.

if you know the song or the sound I'm discribing and know how to achive it, please drop a post:D

2. beans... onions... should get you there

3. I get that sound by turning the bass knob up and treble down and playing the bass through a normal guitar amp or speakers that cant handle such low frequencies.
    Jim

4. burger king onion rings:D got me some killer tone the other night!

lizard king,
    I know what your talking about, but thats not the sound. its more of a clean, roundwound, bassy, thumpy, grindy, kind of type tone thingy.;)

5. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    What works for me (on Fender or Fender-style basses): Add moderate relief to the neck and lower the action.

For more "grunt": lower highs on bass and increased low-mids and mids on amp.

6. You mean the Jack Bruce angle? Dig in hard and use a bit of mid-range, I think. Maybe a bit of amp-strangling as well.

If you like the farty sound you could go for a short scale bass like the Gibson EB-3. 30" I believe.

7. my univox hi-flyer growls like a sumbitch.
    short scale, old humbuckers

i can make the rick growl by using lots of low mid's and pushing the pre-amp a little more than usual. too much and it farts though, and nobody wants to hear that

8. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    try playin through a 18in subwoofer.

9. TO get that kind of sound I :

1.-Put the pickup selector on the jazz p-up of the bridge position
    2.-Turn the trebble down, boost the mids and high mids to my taste, and add a little bit of bass.
    3.- Dig in harder than normal.;)

(i think the compressor also produces a growling sound, but only when i play really hard)

10. cool, I think some of you guys know what I'm talking about. I might not have discribed it properly (I don't know how you would) though.
    anyway, I will try to attach a sample of the song that contains the bass sound. its a small file so us 56k guys can check it out too.

11. farting sound? Blow a speaker;)

12. i;m using a fender Frontman 15W. its my current setting. put the bass at 3 'o clock. the mids all the way. and treble at 1 and 1/2 'o clock

13. along comes the tone chef...

First off set your bass and treble flat, boost 350-560Hz +8dB, 350-440Hz works best to get that farting sound IMO and 180-220Hz +4-5dB. You have a few options on your high mids @ around 1.6-3kHz you can either cut or boost them to get more of a farting honk noise boost them +4dB or for a more growling noise cut them -8-9dB. Tailor your eq around those settings until your happy with the tone. If you would like a more gnarly midrange honk add a mild overdrive boosting your input signal... Hope that helps you.

14. This applies to SWR tube preamp heads (which can be overdriven before clipping).

With EQ set flat:

To get a farting/growling type tone set your Fulltone Bass Drive with Tone at 1:00, Overdrive at 10:00, and pull the Volume up for Compression cut, set at 10:30. A little lower or higher depending on active output or if it's a passive bass.

A light attack will produce a fat bass tone.
    Dig in a just little harder and growl will emerge.
    A firm attack will cause a fart upon plucking and then growl.

The combination of an analog overdrive pushing a quality preamp tube into overdrive equals "sweetness."