Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do I get the high end "sizzle" out of my Modulus?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yamarc, May 5, 2003.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    No it's not on fire...but it does have this high end sizzle, a clankiness in the treble/attack that I don't know how to get rid of. I don't mind it all the time, but I want to remove it when needed. It is a Flea 5 with a custom ordered Villex MM pup (two J's stacked inan MM position, can be separated, etc). So what do you guys think? A new pup/pre config? or perhaps new strings? TI flats? Right now I have D'Addario nickle slowwounds on and they reduced it somewhat...regardless I am open to any suggestions, Thanks, Marc

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm assuming you've played with the eq on the amp end.

One thing I've noticed about Modulus basses is that they often do have that crisp, sizzly sound when played but once you get them in the mix they usually sound fantastic. Not sure why that is. Have you recorded with it in a band setting? If you can do that and maybe even just do a mic recording of a jam and see how it sounds in the mix. It may not be as bad as you think it is!

brad cook

3. Digme is absolutely correct. My Modulus also seems to have a lot of sizzle and fire especially when I hammer. To me it doesen't sound so good when I play by myself through my amp. However when I play with our entire band that high end sizzle actually adds a lot of clarity to my playing. You can hear each note and the sizzle is not nearly as pronounced through the p.a. I have an S.W.R. workingmans 15, and if the Sizzle gets too bad for me when I'm practicing at home I simply hit the horn off switch and it sounds great.

4. I would keep those Villex pickups. I have villex pickups on my chapman stick and they sound great. Best sounding passive p/u IMO. I think you just need to adjust your eq or turn off (or down) the horn if you have one in your cab. I have a lot of sizzle in my steinberger too so I usually turn off the horn or roll off highs.

5. I had a Modulus VJ with EMG pickups that seemed harsh till I put TI Jazz Flats on it, and I enjoyed playing it a lot more.

I had a chat with Joe Zon last week, and he mentioned that his Sonus basses are great with the TIs.

Give them a try.

Aloha,

Jonathan

6. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I've got a Q5 and I know what you mean about the high end "clackyness". I'm not crazy about it when I play alone but in the band mix it sounds great. I recorded with it a few weeks ago and the high end sounded fabulous.So go figure.

I have TI Jazz Flats on right now which are way less "clacky" than the DR Hi Beams that preceded the TIs. So when I practice alone the TIs, and rolling off the treble control on the bass, do the trick.When the band starts - up goes the treble knob to center detente.

If you're a fan of classic Fender J Bass tone and you want to get as close as a Mod can come without sacrificing the "Mod" tone - try the TI Jazz Flats.

7. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    OR, try a Modulus VJ4. :D ;)