How do I get the jazz bass sound?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by zanthrax, May 23, 2001.

1. I own an Yamaha BBG4II and it has soapbar pickups (I think they are singlecoils though). What I would like is to get the jazz bass growl. What pickups do you recommend to achieve that? I don't want to carve in my bass...
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    At the risk of sounding like a total jerk :)

Sell the Yamaha and buy a Fender Jazz Bass if you want the Jazz Bass sound.

Most pickup manufacturers make pickups to fit Fenders and Gibsons. It's unlikely that ANY drop in replacements exist that will fit your Yamaha.
  3. If I had the money I would buy a Fender Jazz Bass (5 string) but since I'm only a poor student that is not an option... :(
  4. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Wish I could tell ya...

Seems most J-type pups are made as direct replacements for Fender as mentioned in the last post.

First, get the specs and dimensions on your pickups, maybe from the Yamaha site. Then, try getting in touch with a major pickup mfgr like Bartolini. I don't think they market a Yamaha replacement, but maybe one of them could fit in the Yamaha without too much fuss.

In the end, you may not be able to force that kind of sound out of this bass. Different basses have different character, but I hope you find something. My suggestion would be to save up and trade up on something that has more of the sound you are after.

The problem with soapbars is that most of them have a more 'modern' sound as opposed to the classic J growl. Another thing...your bass is active right? I have heard some active basses with great J growl, but by far, most of them were passive.