How do I get the tone like.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SkaKing27, Mar 18, 2003.

1. SkaKing27

Sep 1, 2002
    St.Louis MO
    Yes,I was wondering what I should set the tone on my amp to sound like Fat Mike's from NOFX.Thank you.:bassist:
  2. Dad's Bad News is a great song that shows it...if any of you are wondering

3. Hey guess what! off to amps...

4. I've not heard the songs or the player you speak of, but, I can say that many sounds you hear on a recording, exist only on recordings. You can take a bass track and dump it into a computer with a good sound editor and make it sound anyway you like. You can change the EQ, compression, Pitch, etc, etc, etc. Often a "big fat sound" comes out like "big fat mud" when it interacts with room. jmho
  5. Fat Mike has been using Danelectro HoDad and DC basses recently. Previously, it was fender P's, all strung with new Ernie Ball strings.

As far as amps, I know he has used a Mesa M-2000, ampeg svt and a Pignose (for the Decline). i think most of hist tone is in the new strings, his picking near the bridge and an amp with a bit of a 4k boost and 1k and 500k dip.

i hope this helps.
  6. He has a rather different bass tone in "Glass War." It's actually rather cool. Works real well for that song. I wouldn't mind having a tone like that if I played in a punk band. Maybe I'll have to start one. :cool:
  7. Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Mike also uses Ampeg SVT...