Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how do i get the tuner sleeves out of the headstock holes?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Apr 17, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have a geddy lee jazz. i bought a moses neck and i am going to buy new tuner pegs for it. i want to remove the stock tuners from the geddy neck. i got the pegs out no problem, but the sleeves/inserts wont move much. do i need a special tool or is there something else i could use?

2. I had to find some metal stock the same diameter as the hole and gingerly tap them out. You might want to try posting this in the Luthiers' forum.

3. I've used a socket of the same size. They have smooth and slightly rounded edges which won't harm the sleeves. Just insert the socket while the headstock/neck is supported well and lightly tap them out. Should be simple.

Good luck!

4. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    or use a wood dowell of equal/slightly smaller diameter. can get a perfectly good piece from scrap free at Home Depot. if a bit too big, just twirl it in sandpaper to skinny it down.