Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do I get this screw out?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by whamonkey, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Ok, here it is....I just bought my Geddy and the tuning machines suck so I bought some Hipshot American classics. Got them today and as I was unscrewing the FIRST one to take it off the freaking screw broke off. It seems the assemblers tightened it too much. Anyhow, I got all the rest out and installed the Hipshots (which are sweet BTW) but now 1 machine is held by three screws. Should I bother trying to get the broken piece out to install the 4th screw or just leave it? The hole is so tiny I don't really want ream it out and do the wood filler deal, is there a screw remover for such a precise job? Any suggestions?

2. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    You might want to try these. If the screw didn't break off flat you may have to do a bit of drilling to flatten the top of the shaft. The screw extractor won't work very well on a steep angle.

If you're at all squemish about any of this, take your bass to a repairman you trust.

Good luck.

3. I just ordered those...thanks for the link! It's broken nice and flat so they should work great....I'll let you know in 3-5 business days.

4. A dremel cutting disc (thin) can cut into the shaft and make any screw flathead, then ease it back out. I don't how many tuner screws I've broken, they suck by nature.

5. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Reverse drill bits. Drill into the busted off screw and it'll unscrew itself. They bore counter-clockwise.

Slug

6. *Update*
    Drilled it with a regular drill bit, the screw extractors failed to get a bite on it. No problems really, I made it a bigger isssue than it was. All fixed now......very cool.