Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how do i get this sound??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pil, Mar 4, 2005.

1. pil

pil

Feb 17, 2005
    Pimlico, UK
    Hi, im a complete novice when it comes to bass effects, never used them, never wanted them until now...

Now this might be hard or very easy to answer but im looking for the distorted/overdriven sound that you get from a little fender 15watt guitar amp lol still here??...

I ask because i plugged my new jazz into my guitar amp because although my ashdown is very good, its big, LOUD and doesn't have a headphone socket...but anyway thats besides the point...

Im tempted by the boss ODB-3 but ive read quite alot of bad reviews about it, if anyone else knows the sound im talking about and how to capture it on my big amp could you please please please tell me!

2. The sound you're hearing out of your little 15W combo is clipped distortion...it's what happens when your amp just can't keep up with the volume and output signal. I do the same thing sometimes with my little Crate home practice jobber.

To replicate that, you might want to look for strictly overdrive effects. Don't look for anything called distortion, the effect might be too radical.

The Boss ODB-3 can do this, and not all the reviews are bad. In fact, most people that don't like it really want something else and just blame the pedal. You can get a solid "Cranked 15W" overdrive out of it, but you need to know the controls. MXR and Boss both make purely Overdrive pedals...you might want to look at guitar pedals too. Much more variety.

3. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ha! I had a similar epifany when I practiced through a tiny little Peavey practice amp, and thought "this is crazy - why can I hear my low-B string CLEARER out of this six-inch, open-backed speaker than on my Hartke rig with four tens and twenty-times the power?!" I liked the sound better!

Well that's when I discovered MIDS, and turned off that mid-scooping conture button, and turned up the high-mids - looking for 'the elusive Peavey practice amp tone'. I'll never be the same...

Joe

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Digitech XBD works well also. It's an overdrive/distortion in one. You can do from a fuzzyness, to an Ampeg, to a severly clipped S.S. amp. It's cool, I like mine.

Ray

5. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I'll just give my usual reccomendation... Get a Marshall Guv'nor II. I got mine a few weeks ago, and I've been reccomending it to people ever since. It does everything! I just wish it had two channels.

Graeme

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I had the OLD Guv'Nor, but I remember it being more of a distortion, than an overdrive. Maybe it was my settings though, and the fact that that must've been 6 or 7 years ago now... good pedal though! I gotta try the II and see how it compares (since I'll be getting my old on back soon!)

Ray

7. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    A Sansamp Bass Driver DI does this sound very well. Also, if you can't affrod 5 grand for a rig, it will help yours sound like a 5 grand rig.

Ted

8. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    +1.
    i love my sansamp.

9. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Why dont you jsut split your signal into a guitar amp and your bass amp?

10. pil

pil

Feb 17, 2005
    Pimlico, UK
    Okay...now your getting technical! Have no idea what your on about :confused: sounds interesting though if you fancy explaining a little further?

Thanks to the rest of you guys aswell im gonna track down all of those pedals/boxes and try em out, now i know what im looking for!

You've made a little man very happy, you guys are cool.

Thanks again :bassist:

11. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Bass -> signal splitter ----> bass amp
    |​
    |​
    \/​
    Guitar Amp.

So 1/2 your signal goes into a bass amp, and 1/2 your signal goes into an overdriven guitar amp :)

12. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    You could just have an Op-Amp (inverting?) with two clipping diodes couldn't you.

Or could you?

13. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

An Ibanez LF-7 along with you usual overdrive will do the trick perfectly. It will help simulating the reactions of a tiny 8" guitar speaker.

14. pil

pil

Feb 17, 2005
    Pimlico, UK
    Completely out of my depth on this one, not the worlds most technically minded person, think i'll stick to a box, cheers again guys :bassist:

15. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Signal splitter would be easier, IMO. 1/2 your signal to one amp, 1/2 to the other, and you get a good blend of clean/wet sounds. But if not, a stomp box will be cool :).

Ray

16. +1

My Sansamp has saved me this week. I had never really tried it as an overdrive (more as a sweet preamp) until this week's rehearsal .... I have owned an ODB3, a Boss Metal Zone (dont go anywhere near these two) and this week tried both Big Muffs (I preferred the Russian) and the Marshall GuvNor II (nice for the price), but found a setting in my Sansamp BDDI manual this week that nails the overdrive I was looking for (similar to what you describe). Blew my guitarist away in rehearsal and the overdrive was the star of the show for me tonight (along with my new 115 cab). Nailed the bass overdrive sound in U2's Elevation perfectly and also made Cochise so much sweeter (with my Crybaby 105Q rockin away after the Sansamp.) So yeah, I'd say go with the Sansamp - its rare to hear of people who buy one and regret it/return it.

17. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Uhhh - yeah - sort of; but if you plan on acually using it with your bass, there's WAY more to it then that, of course!

That could potentially be 'the heart of the circuit', though.

Joe

18. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I like the Ibanez Phat-Hed a lot, and it's cheap too! I also thing the Sansamp one kicks butt; if you can afford it, it's better because it has other things it can do.

19. pil

pil

Feb 17, 2005
    Pimlico, UK
    glad someone mentioned the price of the sansamp...tried it out yesterday and fell in love...like really in love...but its £200 any fellow brits know where to get it cheaper...i need to fill this new void in my life :bawl: :help: :bawl:

20. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    they go for about £120 on ebay :)