How do i get this sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basskiddanny, Jan 6, 2002.

1. basskiddanny

Aug 22, 2001
    Does anyone know how i can get my bass to sound like greendays???

How do i set my amp to get a similar sound to mike dirnt's???

I have a Laney BC75 75 watt, with 6 band
    graph EQ.

Or do i just need an expensive bass
  2. basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    youre gonna need a Precesion Bass (P-Bass) far as the EQ ill let someone else help you...

3. ...more likely need an Ampeg SVT...and an 8x10...and a P-bass...
  4. Exactly.

Play that P-Bass with a pick through the SVT and you'll pretty much have it.
  5. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Get a guitar head going on thru that 8x10, and it might be a little truer to his tone. He plays thru a guitar head, I assume you know.
  6. Doesn't he use a mixture - a vintage SVT for the "bass" and a guitar amp blended for some grit?
  7. Well, he used a mid-70's SVT and and an 810 for the show that I did with Green Day. That's what I based my comments on.
  8. I'm trying to remember the details from the article in BP not-too-far-back...

I do remember 2 vintage SVT's with an 8x10 was the crux.

I bet half the time you hear "that bass tone" on a recording it's actually ProTools' AmpFarm plugin! :D
  9. Guys, when I saw him he wasn't using Ampeg. He was using Mesa/ Boogie.

Hope that helps.
  10. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Well as much as I'd love to tell you to buy new gear, you can use YOUR amp's eq to get his sound, which was the original question, I believe.

Set the EQ flat, and boost the mids maybe +2 or 3 db, and the highs 5 or 6. You might even be better off cutting all the frequencies a little, and then boosting the EQs, getting the same curve, but at a lower volume. With EQ it's easy to add too much and start clipping. If your amp has frequencies listed, try somewhere in the neighborhood of 800hz for the mids.

Oh, and make sure you use that pick.
  11. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    IIRC, in a bassplayer article on Mike Dirnt it said he used a couple SVT's and a GK800RB for the highs when recording. Or something like that.
  12. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    not to burst your bubble, but mike dirnt could give you his gear, set it all up and when you play you probably still wouldnt get his tone. Theres more to tone than just the gear.
  13. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Mike Dirnt's current touring rig is 3 Mesa/Boogie Basis M2000s into 2 Mesa/Boogie RoadReady 6x10s and 2 Mesa/Boogie RoadReady 1x18s.

HOWEVER, he uses all sorts of wierd stuff for recording (Guitar amps, guitar cabs, crappy amps, whatever...).
  14. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Also, all his P-Basses have Badass II bridges for top end definition.
  15. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Mike Dirnt uses the Ampeg SVT 8x10s for recording, but he tours with Mesa/Boogie cabs. As far as heads, he's used pretty much everything. I'd go with an ampeg head though and boost your hi mids. Also use a P Bass with a pick and Badass II bridge, and use a lot of attack + play down near the bridge. He also has high action on his basses.

He used to use one of those old gibson basses to record "Dookie" but everything that was "Insomniac" and after was with a P bass.
  16. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    that would be a Ripper bass I think.
  17. On E- AA.....GG.......GbGb......FF.......EE there you go that's just about every Green Day song ever;) Man I work my ass off and this guy probably makes more money in a day than I make in a year:( Lifes just not fair:confused:
  18. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Basskiddanny wrote:
    I use to have that amp and I'm sorry to say it just doesn't cut it in terms of tone :( . Used it in a church praise band. It sounded great with an acoustic guitar, but for bass it just didn't project clear lows, and that graphic EQ didn't seem to help, it only served to muddy up the sound even more. Even my Bassman 25 practice amp sounds better.

BTW, your profile doesn't say anything else about your setup, what kind of bass do you have?
  19. basskiddanny

Aug 22, 2001
    I use a very crappy and cheap p bass clone

Im gettin a Fender USA precision very soon for about £750 but im not sure whether to buy that or get the much cheaper mexi, big difference in price but also in sound.

Does anyone recommend a decent amp???

about 150 watts, thats a decent price