1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How do I get this sound?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AmazingGracePlayer, Aug 30, 2007.

1. In the song "Too Many Humans" by Buckethead in the album Population Override, Buckethead's guitar has a very nice tone. In the song, he has two tones, one is heard in the beginning, and the other has a little distortion/overdrive and comes in a few minutes into the song. I was wondering what effects I could use to get a tone similar to his (on the guitar, of course).

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Got an audio link?

3. if its for guitar shouldnt this be posted on a guitar forum? :scowl:

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Good point.

5. wow, bongo pointed out something good i said, what an honour :hyper:

6. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    Whoa whoa whoa, wait wait wait.... I never knew buckethead was allowed to play with such a clean tone.... and I saw him live!

lol, anyways

its gotta be some light OD because it sounds pretty clean until he plays a little harder. something that responds well to playing dynamics...

I heard some delay as well

7. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    1. Practice

2. That's a jazzy sounding guitar with some creamy sounding overdrive. You'll need a guitar with similarly jazzy sounding pickups and the technique to make the sound. Then you'll need the overdrive, which would probably best come from an amp suited for that sound. There is no simple way or cheap device that is going to get you that tone.