1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do I get this sound...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by roners5, May 6, 2010.

1. roners5

roners5

Mar 28, 2010
    What's the "best" bang-for-the-buck bass that will give me this sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHdAhsvDR_I

Note that I'll be going direct in with a very transparent interface. Trying to keep the budget <$500. Also one final question, would it be possible to get a bass that has this sound and also can smoothen out a bit for R&B stuff? Thanks

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Just sounds like a P with a pick to me.

3. BZadlo

BZadlo Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Looks like he's got a Fender Musicmaster in the video.
    Maybe a Ric?

4. roners5

roners5

Mar 28, 2010
    that's what i figured initially but upon a closer listen, it has a "throatier" sound if that makes any sense at all... it kind of has the balls of a p but something about the tonality is different (more than just using a pick methinks :meh:)

5. roners5

roners5

Mar 28, 2010
    crap, this thing sunk like lead.... bumpage for more opinions?

6. Hopper

Hopper

Sep 24, 2008
    London
    You can get that sound from any old $50 bass and a pick. And mic up an amp - don't DI it.

7. P bass, pick, sounds like a maple FB

8. roners5

roners5

Mar 28, 2010
    I don't have a bass amp (sold my 400+ just yesterday) so I only play through my recording interface which I actually prefer because I put songs on and play right along to them- sounds better when they both come from the same speakers.

I still disagree about the p-bass- just doesn't sound like it to me.

9. Hopper

Hopper

Sep 24, 2008
    London
    It's nothing special at all and very commonplace as a sound. I'm sure you can get that sound from virtually any bass. I'd also guess it's a P-bass, BTW.

10. sounds like a neck pick up to me :D maybe a jazz bass

11. screaminglucy

screaminglucy

Jul 20, 2009
    TX, USA
    this might help....at least it could be this ric...

i do think it's a p myself

12. i say rickenbacker! which happens to be a difficult sound to emulate. there are rick copies floating around, including ibanez knockoffs from the 70s that are apparently good.

13. Rickenbacker for sure.

But you could get very close with an ash P bass, maple board and stainless steels.

14. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    For under $500 I'd say find a used Jazz, maybe look HW1.

15. I think it sounds like a Jazz with just the neck pickup on.

16. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    i think any bass would work. it's in the finger (or pick) attack and a quick decay. if I were trying to copy it Id use whatever bass i had and set eq on amp flat, focus on the right mid freq to get the sound and then dampen the strings, then readjust eq to fit

17. Muaguana

Muaguana

Jul 28, 2009
    You're asking to get the sound of a studio track with just a bass going through a transparent DI interface? Unless you have effects processing capabilities (primarily, parametric EQ plug-ins or processing units), good luck.

Get an MXR 10-band graphic EQ pedal if you're on a budget, then get one of the basses mentioned above (J, P or Rick), focus on the neck pickup, use a pick, and palm mute. If you have the pedal, make rough adjustments as needed until you get an approximation of the sound, then do finer adjustments post-recording. If not, just do the EQ-ing post. Focus on boosting the middle frequencies and cutting the lows and highs. That bass is all crunch.

18. roners5

roners5

Mar 28, 2010

thanks for the replies and that vid- It seems like it is indeed a ric... and that blue/black one the person above is selling is HOT- but I'd have to play it before spending that kind of $$ (plus I was trying not to have that much tied up in a bass).

19. roners5

roners5

Mar 28, 2010
    My setup is apogee ensemble --> logic so I do have plenty of eq, filter, etc capabilities in my setup, but I just wanted to see if I could get that sound without having to go nuts with the effects- I just prefer simpler setups cause I get bogged down with too many options.