How do I get this sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sevenbass, Nov 26, 2002.

1. sevenbass

sevenbass Guest

Feb 16, 2002
    Barnsville G.A.
    This post is highly unusual for me, seing as how the only effect I've ever used is a ZOOM 506II.
    To be honest I was highly dissapointed in it. The only thing I used it for was a tuner and that even had trouble tuninging my low B, it was always sharp for some reason. But on the other hand this dissatifaction could have been my own fault. Mabey I expected to much from a $80.00 all in one pedal, or I could have had a defective pedal. But now i'm wanting to give bass effects another try, but this time I will buy individual stomp boxes instead of multi effects units. Somehow all this talk leads to my question which is as follows. I have been hearing a bass sound on songs that I really like but cant seem to get. The songs in question are The righteous and the wicked from the RHCP
    and duffs bass sound on GnR's version of knocking on heavans door. There are othe bassist that have used this sound, Les Claypool comes to mind with his sound on promise. I used to think it was the amp but Duff And Flea use G&K and claypool uses Ampeg, so now I,m led to belive that it is an effect of some type. So if any of you know how to get this sound please tell me. Mabey it's common knowledge among bass players and I,m just behind the times, but I would really like to know.
  2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    To me that just sounds like a clean bass sound, possible played with a pick on new and bright strings...
  3. For RATW by RHCP it's flea witha Stringray 5, with a new set of strings, and just a bit of mid ranged bite.