1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How do I get this sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jlepre, Aug 21, 2012.

1. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I'm a veteran bassist with over 30 years experience, but I have really never used any effects. I am trying to cop the sound of the intro bass line of this song.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82DSEkHatpw
    I don't want to spend alot, as this is really the only song that I will use any effects. Plus I'm not sure if I will need it for more than one performance.

Any suggestions?

2. Envelope filter or bass synth, if you have it.

3. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    That's the thing I don't own one single effect, so I'm looking for inexpensive suggestion from those in the know.

I was thinking envelope filter as well, but not sure which would work best for bass.

4. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    WOW!! $150 is about $100 too expensive. Anything less expensive, or maybe I should be looking used huh

5. The MXR can't be beat and $150 is a very reasonable price for a unit of that quality.

A couple others to check out:

Digitech Bass Synth Wah - I think this would nail what your looking for.

Behringer BSY600 Bass Synthesizer - I've known many people who bought these for one song because they are $50 new... I do not know anyone who has kept it though.

6. THORRR

THORRR Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Parker, Colorado
    While an envelope filter will get you the tone of the original,
    what's more important is you get the notes right.

Critical to making this sound good is the bass part being
    played with the correct notes. The tone is incidental to the
    recording.

My suggestion is to learn the part accurately, play it with
    a decent tone setting on your bass and few if any will miss the envelope filter.

:cool:

7. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I've already rehearsed this song with the band, and it needs that sound to make it sound right. I've learned the part as closely as possible, and feel the effect would just round it out.

8. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
  9. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    If you you hunt around, you can find used ones cheap from time to time. Then if you sell it, you can get most if not all of your money back.

10. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Do they allow you to try out pedals at GC?

11. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I know it's got a filter on it , it's originally a synth but if I was going after this I would use a octave pedal , something cheap and dirty like a Arion moc

12. Buy an EH Q Tron at Guitar Center, then return it within the 30 days... Reason for return? It just isn't something that's going to work in your rig...

13. agreed...pretty much any envelope filter will nail that tone, with judicious use (lightly effected)....you can try the above free rental technique or pick up any number of cheap used ones for a song on ebay or TB (DOD fx25, ibanez SB7 etc, all the pedal manufacturers make one)

14. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    It sounds like a synth doubling the bass line.

You could achieve that with parallel processing effects.

for my effects I split the signal and run parallel through various clean, dirty, and processed signals and then recombine them back into a mono send for my amp.

Run a dry bass signal and a parallel signal into a synth, or envelope, or flange, or whatever.

Most people run their effests in series. The problem with that is it can be a muddy mess coming out into your amp. If you over-process you lose the original note you had.

15. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    :rollno:

16. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I borrowed a friends ZOOM B3 and it got the exact sound as the recording. Nice a full too.
    [​IMG]

17. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Uhhhh Mini Moog...on the recording

You can make that your own with any effect you like.... Octave Divider, Wah-Wah, Envelope Filtering...
    The tone is not what makes that memorable, its the line itself, so do something a little different, make it bold, make it your own. IMO, of course!

18. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I used the Bass Syth effect and it sounded almost identical.

I agree with making things my own, but in THIS case that is a pretty major hook to the intro of the song.