1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How do I get this &@$%&@ Speakon apart?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Oct 18, 2001.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Tonight, I built a 1/4"-to-Speakon cable using some 12 gauge Monster-wanabee cable I picked up for free from the local boom car shop. (They have a big box of short pieces that they can be persuaded to part with.)

RTFM. I know it and preach it, but didn't do it this time. So, I assembled the Speakon using +1 and -1 for the signal, and screwed the thing together. However, I was supposed to use +2 and -2...

I used the white bushing, which seemed to be the best fit on the 12ga zip cord (it has a very heavy jacket, and is a festive transparent blue).

Now I can't get the collar unscrewed. It's locked up tight. How do I disassemble this turkey? Help!

2. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    So you discovered the one-way locking collar, eh? Just twist it off with brute force. They can be disassembled and reassembled a half dozen times before the locking tabs are sheared off.

Nightbass

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Aha! I wrapped both the barrel and collar in duct tape, grabbed on with two pair of channel-locks, and grunted. Victory!

Thanks, Nightbass - I was beginning to think the three jaw chuck was jammed because I was using flat wire. There's no mention of the locking collar on the Speakon tech sheet.

Sneaky Liechtensteiners.