1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do I get this wicked tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stevosimpson, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Stevosimpson

Stevosimpson

Dec 31, 2012
    Winnipeg, MB
    Hey guys, I posted this in a different section but I guess it applies here a bit and Im looking for help.

Skip to 5:40.

I really am a total noob to EQ'ing and I really would love to get tone like that in my recordings (I'm in a metal band). Any tips on how you'd go about getting tone like that?

I have a sansamp RBI + darkglass B3K and an ESP B-416SM.

I can mic my mesa powerhouse 8x10 and buster 200 as well but its not very easy for me to do, as I have to have it fairly loud.

Thanks for any help on this tight metal tone journey :cool:

2. russpurdy

russpurdy

Apr 16, 2013
    I don't mean to sound insulting but you have some pretty nice gear to be asking for eq'ing basics. I would say spend some time with your gear, turn knobs to their extremes and see what they do.

3. I can get a tone very similar to that with my sans amp RBI. For this type of vibe turn the blend knob up(temporarily) i set the gain higher than usual and basically dial in a dirtier tone then once i like it i roll the blend knob down to mix back in the dry sound of my bass. So basically its 2 different tones together, a dry and a fairly dirty tone.

4. Experiment with the RBI. Don't be afraid to set the eq and gain to more extreme settings. The blend will allow you to mix in your dry flat eq sound so it wont sound as over EQed as say an amp head that can only do one tone at a time.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sounds like typical detuned metal distortion tones to me. Should be cake with all the stuff you have.

6. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    I would cut the bass slightly, boost the mids way up, and boost the highs slightly. You probably have your bass boosted too high.

7. .
    Probably totally off target, but listening here on my work monitors that sounds to me a lot like Chris Squire's Rickenbacker sound in the early seventies.

8. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    Yeah, if you can't pull that tone with your darkglass I don't know what to suggest to you.

9. spz8

spz8

Jan 19, 2009
    Glen Cove, NY
    And here I thought today's death metal grunty vocals couldn't get any more ridiculous! :rolleyes:

To get that bass tone, just turn on the B3K. That's about it. A pick may help.

10. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    Actually harder to get than you think if you're a stickler like I am>>>

Recommendations:

- J Bass both pups on full, tone knob up

- Straight to Sansamp RBI set as follows:

Bass and treble at noon, presence at 9, blend at 75%. Darkglass in the loop, set to THIN, blend at 50%

A lot of that sound comes from mic'ing a 10" speaker. Takes a lot of the very high treble out of it and prevents it from sounding obnoxious.

11. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Steve - are you still playing the ESP bass listed in your profile? That bass, through your rig, should nail that sound, so in addition to the tips provided above, I'd suggest that you agressively lay into the picking/plucking of your bass - sometimes, technique can do as much for your tone as the right gear.

12. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Yup sounds like a Ricky to me too, in that case you can get that kind of tone with a sun coleseum some D/K/E140 JBL's and plenty of gain and level and a decent condesor mic.:bassist:

13. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Yeah - Squire or maybe Geddy's Rick sound...

14. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    How do I get this wicked tone?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

turn everthing to 11 ...