Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do I get your albums Michael?

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by C-Money, Mar 22, 2005.

1. C-Money

C-Money

Mar 21, 2005
    Hi Michael Manring, I seem to have a problem obtaining any of your solo albums. I have tried ordering them from places such as Sam Goody off the internet, but after confirming the order they tell me later that it is unavailable. It would be most helpful if you could point me in the right direction. Peace.

2. CurbowPete

CurbowPete

Aug 28, 2004
    USA
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The book of flame is also on the iTunes music store.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Any others? Right now I'm holding out on buying until the new CD with *JUST* Michael and no overdubs comes out. My teacher gave me a tape from freakin' AGES ago and it's absolutely amazing, so I have a decent idea of what he sounds like, and I love his concept, but I'd love it even more if I could hear it in a strictly SOLO format. Beautiful tone, too.

5. jetforcex

jetforcex

Sep 23, 2003
    I just found a used but mint condition copy of Thonk on Half.com a couple weeks ago for $10!!! :bassist: All the others on there were like $39.99 or more. I think all Mike's own releases except the Book of Flame are out of print. You really have to dig around online to find them...and be ready for sticker shock. tBoF does have four solo-no-overdubs pieces....the Fire Sermon, La Sagrada Familia, No Wontons for Elvis, the Book of Living and Dying.

Good luck, hope you get to see MM live...now THAT is beautiful tone!

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Ahhh! I was in HMV yesterday and I had a decision before me...looking to see if I could order a Manring CD, or getting a copy of Pat Metheny Group's "The Way Up." I was gonna get the CD and they showed up as available to order...except they were ALL discontinued. What the heck?

7. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    So sorry guys -- all my solo albums except Book of Flame are out of print and will most likely only be found at second hand outlets. My new CD, Soliloquy, is at the manufacturing plant now, so it won’t be much longer. Thanks for your patience!

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Michael, I'm really sorry to hear that your work has gone out of print... guess that's the breaks. But, wouldn't it be possible to make digital copies of existing albums and sell them online? I'm sure rights and contracts will probably step in and muck things up. But in theory it's sound. I don't know the logistic concerns really, I just wish more people could hear your music. It's a touchy area, obviously, what with music piracy, and online music trading being kinda dubious, but if we could insure you getting just compensation for your efforts, then I feel online distribution could be very valuable. Maybe you could look into it? :)

9. jetforcex

jetforcex

Sep 23, 2003
    Hey guys, it's a longshot but check your local libraries. More and more libraries are stocking music collections nowadays and you can check out the individual cds just like books. Even though its low probability, you might strike gold and find one of Michael's cds in the collection, and be able to take it home for a couple weeks. I searched my county library here in South Carolina and was surprised to find a ton of Michael Hedges and Windham Hill discs available, stealthily hidden among piles and piles of shag and beach music :D . No actual full Manring albums, but when I searched his name in the catalog, he did pop up as a contributor on some of the loanable material, such as Hedges albums, Windham Hill collections, a Windham Hill VHS called "Winter", and two Montreux albums. All right there at the library waiting to be heard. I would think someone in a major metropolitan center or in, shall we say, more "progressive" cultural areas would have even better luck.

10. Hi Guys - I've got a search running on eBay for Michael's stuff. I've just got Controlled by Radar and the Patty Larkin collaboration.

Worth a look for the back catologue stuff.

11. C-Money

C-Money

Mar 21, 2005
    Thanks for the info on how to get Manring's solo albums. :)