How do I getthis sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Secondhandloser, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    So, the other day I was jamming with some friends and borrowing a cheapo crate 50 watt amp- One of the older ones, I think, I'm not a big Crate fan... and anyways, I got an OK tone by overdirving the front end slightly, and cranking the amp. It started to distort, but in a good, DOD od 250 sorta way. And then my my little brother, who is just learning to play guitar, and can't even powerchord yet, but is jamming with us anyways wants to video tape it, and so we do.... So here's my question, watching it back on the camera the bass sounded kind of buzzy, gritty, and really nice, and Iwas wondering how I could get such a tone running straight into an amp,- I'm assuming the small wimpy cam mic and small speakers we played it back through contributed to the sound, but I can't seem to recreate the sound... Suggestions?
    I tried getting a sound clip up but my comps being gay...
  2. The camera you used probably had an influence on the sound. Other than that you answered your own question. The DOD 250 distortion pedal is used successfully by bass players around here. I built one and think it has a good OD for bass.

I guess this doesn't answer an amp related question. :meh: