Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do i go about buying a rig??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pantsman, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Ok, i have no idea what too look, listen for when buying amps/cabs. I am finally getting some half decent gear and i have been looking around and the only brands that seem to be in my area and within my price range are Hartke, Behringer or Laney. One store has Behringer 'Power Packs' which combines their 300watt head with either 2 BB210's or a single BA410 (aluminium coned). These are AU$995, on the other hand i could buy a Hartke VX 115 for $499.

Basically i have no idea what combination, because i could find a 2nd hand head on ebay and match it to a Behringer or Hartke cab, or buy both new!!

Please help :crying: :confused:

Edit: there is also a behringer rig that has a V-amp Pro, a 800watt power amp, a rack case and a 410 for $1700

2. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Look into hartke. HA5500 head, and the 3500. Also hartke cabs are great.

What is your price range?

3. Price range is about the same as the options mentioned above, i don't want to go over AU$1500 really.

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Do you have any Ashdown gear over there?

5. Not that i have ever seen, i amraking my brain about other choices or rig ideas but i am coming up with nothing

6. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Try WWW.Avatarspeakers.com. I think he is starting to ship worldwide. he carries Hartke and Ashdown amps (with decent prices) and makes some killer low budget cabinets

7. its weird, because i thought i couldn't get Avatar cabs up here (sorry, latest 'trend' with aussie blokes around here atm is to call Australia Upover not Downunder, we reckon the earth is veiwed upside down) so i have never read anything about them, i know nothing of them, thanks alot Masher, i am about to go read as much as i can.

Edit, Whoops, seems they still don't ship internationally.

8. You can buy Ashdown stuff here Billy Hyde's sell the MAG300 for about $650. I would recommend a Hartke 3500 with a Hartke VX410

9. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Do not buy a Hartke VX series cab. They are crap. Transporter series cabs are almost as bad.

XL is the only way to go for Hartke cabs. The heads are quite nice though.

10. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Transporters are not crap, I didn't have the money for an XL and the TP does me quite nicely. You do know the only difference between the XL and the TP is the porting system (dual vs single) and a slightly thicker outer casing, for £100 less the TP is good value. I will agree that VX cabs are crap though, TP is the same price. Btw Tash, what qualifies you to make such sweeping statements about Hartke cabs?

11. I've found that key to getting gear you'll like is to find the head or cabinet somewhere and try it out. Once you've got a few brands in mind head out to the music stores. Most places will let you bring in your axe and play through the gear; it's the best way to find out. Granted you'll need to keep in mind that the acoustics in their shop won't match the acoustics where you gig, but you can at least get a feel for the "feel". I used a Laney combo amp for quite a few years, then I found that I wanted more wattage so I wasn't pushing things to the limit in bigger rooms, so presently, I'm using a Behringer BX3000T through a Fender 410 Pro SL cabinet. I tried the cabinet out in one store, and found the amp head in another, grabbed a bass similar to mine and plugged in! Immediate sale for them! (The price was pretty good, too. If price becomes the final issue, shop around. There's more than one place to buy! At least you'll know exactly what you're looking for by then.) It doesn't hurt to mix and match if you like the results! Best bet is to find somewhere to try it out before you lay out the $$$'s. Good luck and have fun shopping!

12. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Not sure who said it, but IMO I'd rather buy a product from a respected company that does NOT copy products of other companies. :scowl:

But to each his own, and agree to disagree. :)

I would check out avatar cabs, they make some great, dependable cabs for relatively cheap.

Oog

13. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Certainly Hartke has by far the best credentials compared to Behringer or Laney when it comes to bass. Also the best amps imo, didn't like the Ultrabass particularly when I tried it and Laney.... oh dear. What's your budget, Hartke are great value for money but have you considered something like one of the solid state ampeg heads as an option too if you have a larger budget? Play stuff and let your ears decide. Your wallet may end up hating you for it (my ears have expensive tastes generally which my brain has to reign in) but it's what you want in an amp that matters most. Anyway, imo Hartke is easily the best out of what you suggested.

14. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH

You are wrong, wrong, wrong. The XL series has a totally different speaker than the Transporter series. The magnets on the XL are nearly twice as big, much better internal bracing which reduces overtones. The Transporters aren't crap, they're just crap compared to nearly every other bass cabinet in the same price range . . . ;)

15. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Pantsman, A suggestion and this should apply to every one asking these kinds of questions.

#1 What kind of music do you play?

#2 What size venues are you playing and anticipate playing?

#3 What kind of Bass do you have? A six might require a different rig then a four.

#4 What is your budget in Amer Dollars and Euros? In other words not everyone here that knows something about amps lives in Australia

#5 What is your budget? You did this good job!

#6 How will you be transporting this rig? A SVT classic with 8 X 10 might be hard to move on a subway!

16. Oogenstein, i'd be careful, i am sure it was mentioned somewhere that mentioning Behringers lawsuit was not allowed, anyway i don't care so don't mention it please.

Gottawalk: What is the Behringer head like? because it is very cheap where i am.

Burk48237: thanks, that list is a great help, if anyone has has some questions i should ask myslef please post them.

I play a range of music from slappy funk to 80's thrash Metal.

small to medium

I still have my first bass, it is being upgraded at the same time as my amp. (95% likely going to be buying a Squier P-Bass Special V, everyone seems to think it is a good bass, stores and TB alike)l

this is the hardest bit, you can't just convert Au to US when talking about bass gear because of the way our government rapes us on bass gear. but around US$1,000

Rig will be transported in the back of a very large Ute, so thats so problem.

Does anyone have suggestions as to what i should be looking and listening for when testing, and any questions to ask sales guy?

17. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I've owned 3 different rigs using Hartke cabs, and gigged heavily with several more over roughly 10 years.

The TP series cabs are a completely different animal than the XL lines. Aside from being thinner shells made of a different material, they also have different bracing and different drivers. Collectively they add up to a cab that plain sounds bad. No bottom, no projection and none of that great shimmer you get from Hartke's better stuff. I will grant you they sound OK playing alone in your basement, but on stage backing a decent sized band they don't cut it.

Aside from this they break really really easy. I accidently trashed one of my TP cabs by tapping it with a car door. One tiny hit and it split along the side. By contrast the 4.5XL that replaced it took a 10 foot dive off the back of a drum riser and still finished the gig that night.

Collectively I feel my expirience with Hartke more than justifies my opinion of their gear. You are of course entitled to disagree.

18. I have had a mixed history with Hartke, i thought their aluminum coned cabs were absolute ****e, however i love Behringers Aluminium coned series :eyebrow: explain that one, i also tried that Hartke combo with the 410 and 3500, hated it too, then about a week ago when i was testing a bass the salesman only had a hartke rig set up, with VX 115 and 210, i think i fell in love kinda, but for the wrong reason. That hartke rig sounded 'expensive' compared to most other things, but it wasn't "my" sound!

The only Ampeg stuff in my range is their 100watt 15" combo.

I am thinking more about a poweramp and BVAP set up through one of their 410's, or Behringers 300watt head into 2 210's

Eden's Nemesis is also available, but it doesn't seem that much cheaper than the eden stuff!!!

OHH ebay alert, there is a 300watt Trace Elliot head on ebay
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10171&item=7334274310&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

19. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    The Hartke XL Cabs are quality stuff, the rest from what I've seen is marginal at best. There heads have had some reliability issues so be careful. I will tell you one thing I learned a long time ago. Don't be afraid of used stuff. Your better off with well taken care of pro equipment then most new semi pro stuff. IMO You could not go wrong for instance with Eden Traveler or WT stuff and there cabs are great but a little heavy. I'm running Aguilar now but I have had over a dozen years of trouble free service with Eden stuff. I would look at Eden, Ampeg and GK. they've been around a long time, so chances are there's some used stuff even down under! What brands are available there?

20. haha, used GK, Ampeg or Eden is rarer than hens teeth, it seems anyone who gets their hands on decent stuff holds onto it forever. I mean most giging bassists around here, mainly at my underground music bar, the bassists are playing homemade stuff!! I mentioned somewhere else what brands i have access too, Hartke, Behringer, Laney, Fender, some Ashdown stuff Ampeg, GK and Eden plus their Nemesis range, thats about all we get, ohh and Kustom :p