How do i go about making a wooden bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Frei-bag bass, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Frei-bag bass

Frei-bag bass

Jul 16, 2005

like the one seen here; Claypools rainbow bass has one too, and it would look way better than metal on some projects.
    is it simply making it perfect so adjustments arnt required?
    or is there something by the nut to to change the string height?
  2. The thing about that Wish is that it's fretless, so intonation isn't such a big deal as far as setup is concerned. Making an adjustable wood bridge would be much more difficult. You could carve it for string height, like an upright, but for intonation, it would be much more difficult to set up. I really don't have any ideas.
  3. As a technical matter, you could simply copy a high mass design in a dense wood like ebony right down to using the same screws. The ebony would hold the threads quite well if handled with care.

A bridge like you see here is simply a piece of carved Corian (expensive countertop) and just sits on top of the body. I've owned a Wish and can vouch for it. Look at any acoustic guitar and you'll see a better design that does the same thing.

A "flying tailpiece" can be utilized along with a bridge like this ala Warwick or Alembic. That way, the string anchoring and the rest of the bridge functions are separated and easier to accomplish. Take a look at Karl Hoyt basses for a very good approach to this type of bridge.

I am building a bass now that simply uses standard adjustable saddles that ride in slots cut in the body of the bass itself - no bridge plate at all. The body IS the bridge. Total and complete sonic coupling. The strings anchor in slots in the end of the body.

Hope this helps
  4. Frei-bag bass

Frei-bag bass

Jul 16, 2005
    thanx for the input, but i have you going in a wrong direction, iwas more or less looking for design aspects (good idea of just copying to a "t"; just kinda hinders the creative aspect)
    but hambone, i would love to see plans for this "no bridge" bridge.
    unless its the caramilk secret,
    i just like the look of alot of wood as opose to metal, and i dont like 'copying' others
  5. There aren't any real "plans" - simply shallow tracks that are wide enough to hold the saddles (from Guitar Parts Resource) in alignment.
  6. Frei-bag bass

Frei-bag bass

Jul 16, 2005
    thamx man,
    i hunted down some pics of your work
    good stuff man!
  7. I've done a similar mod to my wishbass, where i've taken the adjustable saddle blocks from those single-string bridge pieces and simply placed them under the strings. They're are a tad too high like this, so I am going to cut channels into the top, in which these saddles can slide.

When I chucked these in, instead of the corian bridge, I didn't notice any change in the sound of the guitar, and now I have individual string adjustment.

I don't have a proper router, so I am going to build a template from MDF using a dremel tool and then use a combination of dremel, wood chisels, and sanding to do the job.

I've been having too much fun playing lately, to dive into the project, but soon...
  8. My Eshenbaugh is coming with a floating bridge design similar to this. Mark makes the bridge for intonation with the strings he ships them with. I've discussed the intonation issue on a bridge like this with him. Bassically, if you change gauges and it affects intonation, a new bridge may have to be cut.

FWIW, my bridge may actually wind up being a powder-coated piece of brass as opposed to ebony or another hardwood (or Corian, for that matter).
  9. duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005