How do I go about raging against the machine?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Don't worry, this isn't very political. Now I don't consider myself a enviormentalist by any means, but I have noticed a recent rise in fast food resturants using plastic cups. This seems wasteful, think how many people a day throw out those huge plastic cups they get from Taco Bell.

My suggestion: A seperate "Plastic Cups Only" bin next to the trash bins. The cups will then be cleaned and be sent away to be recycled.

How would I go about submitting this idea. I know a lot of fast food resturants are linked together, so should there be some higher up I should contact? Does this seem like a decent idea or do I sound like I'd be wasting my time? Any input is appreciated.
  2. definitely sounds like a useful idea. i'd say you could make the suggestion at a town hall meeting type deal for your town; i dunno how you would go about suggesting it to the establishment itself. they usually have suggestion things; but those probably don't get much attention. hmmm...
  3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Most fast food chains (McDonalds, Burger King, KFC, Checkers, Wendys, etc.) have web sites with e-mail links. I once wrote and complained to McDonalds about a very dirty and messy one I had the displeasure of experiencing. Honestly they wrote back the next day and the manager called me!

Check out those web sites and make your suggestion about recycling bins right in each store. There is one problem I can see. Some communities don't have recycling because it is too cumbersome and expensive when done on a small scale.

If you are suggesting that each fast food chain gather all its recyclables and transport them to some central location, that, too, may just be too expensive. Just the gasoline used to transport all the used plactic cups might negate what is saved by recycling the plastic.

Nonetheless, it wouldn't hurt to e-mail each chain with your concerns. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
  4. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I use those plastic cups for lots of things. They're great for keeping small parts in, such as screws and bolts or for keeping your change separated. And for house remodeling when you are working on a project and need to keep several types of nails separated. My wife and I hardly ever eat at those fast food joints but if we do I save the cups. So there. I'm doing my part!
  5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    First, you must rally 'round the family. Second, accumulate a pocket full of shells.
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Fight the power Ineal. But I'm talking about the regulars. I usually save the cups, but eventually you run out of room for plastic cups. I dunno, I'll email some places tommorow, see what I can do.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    OK folks, I'm on

Yum is in charge of Taco Bell, KFC, Long John Silvers... etc. I cannot find any sort of way to get in contact ANYONE! On the Taco Bell website I can give a 250 word or less comment about an individual resturaunt... not what I'm looking for.

Why is it that when you want to contact a larger corperation you can never find a damn email address. I mean, I can get a picture of the board every individual member of the board of directors, but not a single email address?!
  9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

zacly? like zach dela rocha ?

as for you stupidmatt: Go Team! that's a good idea, just so long as there are no big logistical issues that would be overtly costly to these chains, I'm sure they would at least consider it, and remember

Petitions are your friends ;)
  10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Yeah since these A hole don't believe in email. I think I'm going to have to go local. Great now everyone's gonna think I'm a hippie. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Ya know I've lived in Ojai for the past 4 years, it's a big hippy community, everyone has an opinion, and they are usually all about hugging rainbows or feeding cows or some such trite. But at anyrate, It has made me somewhat of an environmentalist, like, I definitely think about the environment a lot more than I used to, and I try and do my part whenever possible. But then again, Being a hippy in California isn't going to get you any weird looks.:D
  12. Janas

Nov 25, 2002
    Instead of doing it the nice way why don't you just go and smash up a few McDonalds, (It just seems easier to me);)
  13. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    You could try snail mail. I know, I never use it either, but I think that a company might even take it more seriously than email. I mean anyone can fire off a semi-literate email in 30 seconds. It's another thing altogether to write and mail a proper business letter. You can CC it to the EPA or your senator or whoever has some political heft in your area too.
  14. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Here's what I suggest. First, form a radical organization and give it a name that sounds inflammatory, you know some acronym like PAPCUPS (People Against Plastic CUPS). Then, you can become the organization's bitter and bellicose spokesperson, and make some outrageous statement every time you are interviewed. "These plastic cups are a blight upon the earth and should be eradicated along with those who perpetrate this terrible crime on our Mother Earth." You can also create a bunch of atrocities that these cups cause, based, of course, on flaky science. "It has been proven that these cups are responsible for the SARS 'epidemic' that is crippling our world." Suddenly, CNN and NBC are plastering your face all over the news, with Wolf Blitzer and Tom Brokaw extolling the virtues of your plight.

Now that you are on your way, of course you will need to attend as many Widespread Panic and Phish concerts as you can, recruiting a bunch of hippies for your cause. While they are out chaining themselves to the doors of McDonald's restaurants dressed as huge plastic cups and 'fighting the good fight', you, of course will be safely at home listening to Joan Baez cd's in your palatial 15,000 square foot mansion in San Francisco, which was made possible by "donations" from your closest friends.

Of course, whenever you are seen on TV making a statement, you will be sporting your $800.00 blazer worn with blue jeans and Hush Puppies, salt & pepper beard and round eyeglasses.

Sounds like a pretty cool life, ha? The only problem is that you always hated the smell of patchouli.

15. odie

odie Supporting Member

16. Sleeping while in flames may attract attention.
  17. -Plastic takes up less than 2% of landfills.

-Often times, the processing of plastic to be recycled is worse for the environment than just letting it sit in a dump for a few hundred years.

Now, I know it sounds like a noble cause and all, but it isn't a big deal. Try raging against AIDs or racism or Carrot Top or something.
  18. Yeah, So
    You try to lecture me
    on who needs and gets the dough,
    You never think that I get my own schemes
    In this black head of mine
    My revolution radio blares all the time
    You scallywag, hypocrites better run for cover cuz ya thru!
    You better be ducking cuz my lyrics like a bazoo-KA
    Liberating and obliterating your bunker
    Who could have thought this could've come from a flunker
    A kid didn't play at your biz
    'Stead he rockin X and Mao and Is-Lam
    Oppressors beware!
    We 'bout to make a stand!
    Cuz we got power of numbers
    And you got blood on your hands!!!

*bwaba boooooow wawawawa wa wowow! bawawa wa wawawwawaw Wowwwwww!*

that should be a rage song.
  19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Well my dreams have been crushed...

unless... YOU'RE WORKING FOR THEM AREN'T YOU!!! :mad: :mad:
  20. I am actuall Dan, that taco bell commercial guy. I've come for your souls!