Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do I ground my preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by smo, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Hi everyone,

I'd first like to thank you all for your help previously;

I've just got myself a Seymour Duncan Basslines STC-3M3/Musicman active preamp.
    I remember reading in one of the posts here that the preferred method of grounding a preamp is through the bridge.
    Is this the best/simplist way?

How do I do it?

Thanks,
    smo

2. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    The 'star' grounding method suggests that all metal components be tied to one connecting point. This would include pots, bridge, and shielding. By only having one path to ground, this helps to eliminate hum cause by rf interference.

3. Don't forget to ultimately ground to the input jack or you'll have no sound.

4. So - technically - just connect the grounding wire to the input/output jack is all i really NEED to do?
    And if i get a humming prob, its time to connect the bridge to the jack too?
    Am i getn it right?

5. There are a number of items that need to be grounded as Eots stated. You also must run a ground wire from your input jack to the circuit ground - pots, etc.