How do I handle this????

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by g4string, Oct 16, 2006.

1. g4string

g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I just sold a preamp and the buyer is claiming that it is DOA. I know for a fact that it was good when I sent it. I used it for a gig the week prior to shipping and to test a speaker cab a few days prior to shipping. The seller replaced the fuse and that solved the problem - only for a awhile!! The fuse continues to blow. Something is shorted in the preamp (Kern) that is causing the fuse to blow.

The seller sent me an email and asked for a refund. I kind of refused because I can not say for certain he isn't responsable for breaking it or that it wasn't damaged during shipping. I sent him an email back asking him to get an estimate and that we would go from there. He replied and asked me to paypal him $38 bucks to cover the cost of an estimate. I sent him $20 and told him I would cover half of the cost. Since then, he refunded my $20 from paypal from paypal for the estimate.

I think this one might get ugly. What should I do?? I know this thing worked before I shipped it - thats a fact! I am against refunding him the money because I dont know how it got broke and we never really discussed returns when when the deal was being made. Did this guy break it and is now trying to pull one over on me or am I being an a**hole by not giving his money back? I am willing to see the guy halfway on just about everything but I dont want to get screwed - nor do I want him to get screwed. I shipped the Kern via Fedex and it was packaged well. Should I start a claim with Fedex? This is the first time this has ever happened to me. Your guidence would be appreaciated.

2. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Blame the shipping company.

3. The Craw

The Craw

Jul 31, 2006
    Agree to refund his money provided he ships it to you first and it hasn't been damaged.

4. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Well if it's "DOA", that means it's probably broken. If it wasn't broken when he sent it, then he just lost a LOT of money for no reason.

5. The Craw

The Craw

Jul 31, 2006
    I understood that it's not working. That's not necessarily the same as the buyer doing something to damage it. Even with no obvious shipping damage, stuff happens when you're talking about electronics equipment -- especially if it's not in its original factory packaging.

My older son bought an SVT4-PRO about 4 years ago, reliable seller, guaranteed working. Well, it wasn't DOA but one channel didn't work. It was well packed and there was no obvious shipping damage. The seller was gracious enough to offer a refund on the condition that it hadn't been damaged by misuse, or else offered to pay the cost of the repair. My son took it in and paid $60 to have it fixed, seller reimbursed him.

That may not be the situation here, the buyer in this case may have screwed it up. But in the long run it's better to make the offer.

6. Id blaim the shipping.

Think of it from the other perspective, if you just got a preamp off ebay that was advertised as being in perfect condition and it didnt work, wouldnt you want a refund or something sorted out too ??

7. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Unless you smell something fishy in his feedback I would assume it was really DOA and offer to work it out with the buyer. Unless the box is damaged you probably will not get the freight company to help out. :meh:

8. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    If the fuse keeps blowing its one of two things - the power cable he uses is screwed up somehow, or his own electrical wiring in his home is. Its in no way the preamp.

9. g4string

g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Morf,

Why would you say that? That doesn't make any sense to me why something internal in the preamp wouldn't cause the fuse to blow.

10. g4string

g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    BTW, I started a claim w/ UPS. It smelled like it was going to get ugly, so I figured this was the safest route to go.

11. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    +1,000!!!

This way, everything is done fairly.

Cherie

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021