1. Registering a free account will remove most ads, the sidebar, and allow full reading access.

How do I hook an amp head up to this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LonghornBass, Oct 7, 2001.

  1. I recently pulled the head out of my T-max 1x15 combo and I am in the process of selling the remaining 1x15 cabinet. My question is this: While most cabinets have a simple 1/4 jack in the back, my speaker hooks up to the amp via a short quarter inch cord coming out of a hole in the back of the cabinet. If someone wants to put a separate head on it and not use the built in rack space, is their any way I can lengthen this 1/4 cord? (it would be impossible otherwise b/c the existing cord is not long enough to connect to an amp head sitting on top of it) Is their a 1/4 plug in jack on the inside of the cab that I don't know about? I know this sounds kind of vague, but I need to know this if I am to sell it. Any thoughts would be welcomed. Thanks
  2. MrFortuneCookie

    MrFortuneCookie Guest

    Aug 23, 2000
    New York, NY
    I believe that there are some members of TB who have installed a 1/4" jack on the back of their combo cabs. You could do something like that. Or you could hypathetically get a cable that has two female 1/4" connectors on it, though i wouldn't recommend it as a real good option.
  3. There's almost certainly not anymore 1/4" jack equipmemt inside the now stripped combo. There'd be no need for the manufacturer to do that because it's a combo so all the speaker cabling is integral to the unit.

    Please do not attempt to make this cable longer. It's asking for trouble. As Mr Fortune Cookie says, the best way would be to fix a 1/4" jack socket on the speaker box. You should be able to buy a recessed plate especially for mounting jacks to cabinets - electronic stores usually have them.

    You'd remove the existing speaker cable - the one you thought about making longer - then wire the new one between the speakers and the new socket on it's new plate. In that way the 'sense' of the thing changes from it being a combo to it being just a speaker cab. The head will (usually) have a 1/4" socket for speaker out so all the new owner would need to do is buy a regular speaker cable - 1/4" plug to 1/4" plug.

    Please take great care when modifying the cabling because you definitely don't want rogue soldering, short circuits whisps of wire here and there, and so on. That's be the easiest way for the new owner to destroy the head he uses.

  4. lo-end

    lo-end Guest

    Jun 15, 2001
    I think you should PM joris. He knows all. :)
  5. Lo-end, not even close! The more I know, the more I realize I know nothing.

    I'd go with Rockin' John's recommendation, and put a recessed metal plate in the cabinet with an airtight (very important!) 1/4 jack chassis. You can buy them ready made. If you're not willing to cut a hole in it, you could also try to remove the speaker from the cab, and replace the existing cord with a longer one. And if you're lazy, you could just buy a speaker extension cord of a few feet. 1/4 inch female jack on one end, 1/4 inch male jack on the other. :D:D
  6. thanks guys, I appreciate it.