Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do I hook up a rack tuner to a preamp with out any tuner out?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LonghornBass, Sep 1, 2003.

1. My RBI does not have a tuner out - how does one hook a rack tuner up? Thanks

2. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Hi, since the RBI doesnt have a tuner out, just plug the bass direct to the tuner, and then from the tuner´s signal output to the preamp.

There you go.

3. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I've always been leery of running a signal through a tuner. It makes little sense to me to have a nice and/or expensive bass run its signal through a $20 tuner or even a $300 tuner.

I run mine out of an effects send since I don't use effects anyway. You can also get an A/B box and run "A" to the amp and "B" to the tuner.

4. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I'd also suggest using the effects out but not returning the signal through the tuner and back to the amp. Sure, you lose the muting function, but you gain a tiny bit of tone lost in the extra cables and tuner.

5. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Good advice on either effects out, or perhaps even better, an A/B box (for silent tuning). Chances are you will a get better sound if you plug your bass directly into the preamp, don't put the tuner inbetween bass and preamp if you can avoid it. Let your ears decide though.

6. Fishface

Fishface

Jul 26, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    An A/B box would be a perfect solution for me. Is there an A/B box on the market? I've not really looked, but I've never seen one.

7. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    The Morley active A/B box is built like a tank and quiet as a church mouse. They sell for ariund $50. There's cheaper ones, but they make noises through an amp.

My Morely A/B has survived a zillion gigs and I even used it as a hammer once. They're great.

8. I just looked at my Sansamp RBI manual and the best possible solution would be to hook up the rack tuner to the footswitch output and hook the A/B pedal to the footswitch input, when engaged the pedal should bypass the RBI to the tuner, technically since the full signal is now to the tuner there would be no use for the mute button since it disconnects from the preamp. But it's still cool for people with rack tuners with no mute function like on the older Korgs. Also the manual mentions only another Sansamp RBI to connect for the footswitch but I'm 100% sure you can use this with the tuner.

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Actually this will effectively (pun intended) mute the preamp if it's a serial fx loop.
    Since the fx loop is just a gap in the preamp's signal path, it is interrupted when you plug a cable in the fx send but don't lead it back into the return.

Use an a/b box, you can use that in the fx loop too.

10. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    A problem on some amps, but not on others. On my SWR amps, plugging the effects "out" into the tuner doesn't change anything with the amp, but the effects "in" does.

11. Fishface

Fishface

Jul 26, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    I am looking for good way to mute the RBI for instrument switches and tuning. This sounds like it might work.

So... a standard 1/4" footswitch can mute the RBI? Please let me know if I understand this correctly.

12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    True, I wasn't specific enough, it depends on whether the send or the return "triggers" the loop, but I found that most amps use the send.

13. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm bumping to revive this because I'm wondering the same thing about this now. I can see the only downside of this would be that you would no longer be able to switch on or off your sansamp feature. (i.e. the red light going on or off) Am I understanding that correctly?