Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How Do I Hook Up My Preamp and Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by doc540, Jul 30, 2003.

1. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    First things first:
    I have yet to buy a cab or cabs for this rig. The purpose will be small rooms and clubs. (In anyplace larger, I'll just run direct or mic it.)
    Your cab suggestions are most welcome.

BUT...

My first need is advice on how to connect the Yamaha PB-1 preamp to the Yamaha P3200 power amp.
    The PB-1 has biamp capability but for now please advise me on single cab hookup.

Apart from the hi/lo biamp outputs, the PB-1 has two outputs: a single phone jack and a balanced (XLR?) output with a level control.

Power Amp:

[​IMG]

I realize there are several issues such as power, ohms, bridge, series, etc.

But for the sake of simplicity, how would you connect the preamp to the amp and the amp to one cab?

Speaking of simplicity, assume I know nothing and you're conducting a basic tutorial.

Thanks!

2. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    17 lookers but no one with advice?

Come on! Sumbod'ah HEP'MAH!

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    OK, you just connect the line or preamp out of the preamp with the input (phone) jack of the poweramp.
    If you plan to use the poweramp in bridged mode, use the designated input channel A.
    If you use one cab per side, use the stereo mode of the poweramp and use any side you want.

RTFM ;)

4. thumbtrap

thumbtrap

Jun 26, 2003
    I don't have mine yet, but from talking with other folks here, I think the third phone jack on the back is full range out, same as the balanced line out - and they're both post eq/volume etc... Just run that into the power amp as JMX said.

5. Run a sheided cable from the "single phone jack" into the channel "A" input of the power amp (where it says "bridged mono"). Get another cable with a "banana" jack on one end (the other end will need to fit whatever your cabinet takes, be it 1/4'', Speakon, or banana) and plug the BLACK SIDE OF THE CABLE into the red binding post of the CHANNEL "B" output section, and the RED SIDE OF THE CABLE into the red binding post of the CHANNEL "A" output section. Plug the other end into your cabinet. That is how to hook up your pre-amp to your power amp in bridged mono mode! :bassist:

Oooh! Make sure you flip the "bridged-stereo" switch to "bridged".