Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do I increase my right hand plucking speed?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Gilbert F, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Gilbert F

Gilbert F Guest

Oct 13, 2004
    Does anyone have any info on excersises to increase your right hand plucking speed?

I am currently teaching myself bass with the Simandl book. I usually use the normal pizz method of putting your index and middle fingers together, resting your thumb on the side of the fingerboard, and plucking the strings with the side of your finger. The Simandl book says to alternate plucking of the index and middle fingers on faster songs, but I've tried this, and I'm very slow at it. What should I do?

2. Savino

Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    nyc
    The metronome is your friend.
    So are open strings.
    put the two together
    play em till they ring.

Seriously, the key to playing cleaner and faster pizz is to learn to stop the string from vibrating before you pluck it. playing very staccato at first so you can learn to conrol you note durations. The quicker you can start and stop a note, the more notes you can play.

3. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca

do you think this would apply for bg players also?

4. Savino

Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    nyc
    Of course. its the same concept.

5. Gilbert, welcome to TBDB!
    Don't use the Simandl book to learn about pizz! If your only interested in pizz to go along with your classical playing while holding your bow, that's one thing. If you want to be mainly a pizz guy as in jazz or other genre of pizz playing, get a jazz TEACHER!
    There are loads of great threads concerning this very subject, so utilize the Newbie Links and archives. There are many good books that have good pizz info including pictures.
    Your profile doesn't give any info on where you're located, so i'm assuming you can't find a teacher in your area or just can't afford it? This is tough to do on your own, so do your best to get a teacher even if it's only long enough to get you going.
    Meanwhile, spend as much time here and on the Newbie Links and Archives as possible.
    By the waay, there are similar threads below this one addressing some of the same concerns. The one from Bluesbass is right up your alley. A good suggestion by FidgetStone is right on....roncarter.net/officialSite.html
    GOOD LUCK!

6. Gilbert F

Gilbert F Guest

Oct 13, 2004
    Well thank you for your suggestions. I play both arco and pizz, so thats why I'm using Simandl, but I will look into some pizz books, and look for a teacher.