Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how do i keep my knobs from falling off?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Apr 8, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    any suggestions as to how to keep my vol and tone knobs to stay on the pots? i have fender geddy lee and they are more often not on the bass then they are on.

its a minor detail, but it just bugs me.

2. WarwickFan

WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Florida
    Don't they have a set screw?

3. the cheap/easy way is putting little pieces of paper inside the knob so it gets tighter with the potentiometer...

4. If they are the plastic knobs, they might be slip on instead of set-screw type.
    Really simple fix.. just wrap a small piece of scotch tape around the pot shaft, then press them down onto it. The tape takes up any slack and keeps them put.

Mag...

5. ...playing whilst laying flat on your back?

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The knobs on my Geddy have set screws. I think all of the 60's and 70's style black plastic J knobs do. Just tighten them up.

Off to Setup.

7. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    set screw knobs?- tighten the screw as embellisher stated

push-on knobs onto split shaft pots? - very carefully, with a small flathead screwdriver..spread the pot shaft ever so slightly - then press knob on.

8. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Also, if you don't have the set screw knobs, then you can get some. Knobs are usually very reasonably priced.

9. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Also, even though it has been established that you don't have slip on knobs, if you do, and they slip off, get something in the slit in the split shaft and bend the 2 halves out ever so slightly. Saves having to wrong anything around it.

10. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Crazy glue. It can glue peoples' hats to I-beams.

11. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I sure hope you are joking. Crazy glue your knobs and you will never be able to take the pots out of that bass ever again.

12. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    yeah, the geddy has set screws. the problem is they never actually "set". well, the one knob does and i swapped it to use for my main vol. knob (i re-wired the bass to series so that the sound is more like a p-bass; it sounds a little deeper to me anyway). the tone knob and other vol knob keep falling off. i can twirl that set screw forever and it doesnt seem to bite. perhaps its time for new knobs.