How do I know how many inches my bike is?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I've decided to sell everything I own that I don't use. I have a 1994 trek bicycle that just takes up room in my place, and the last time I posted it on craigslist everyone wanted to know how many inches it was. I knew when I bought it, but I'm clueless now. I'm 5'8 and I bought it leaning towards the smaller size for my body - I was told it was better for the mountains that way.

Anyhow - how do I measure it or find out? and does anyone know the approximate value of a 1994 trek singletrack 950 with suspension in the front in pretty good condition? Paid about $1000 when I bought it, ready to take a big hit though. Used it in the mountains for 2 seasons, so it's got scratches and dings, but it's mechanically perfect.

Any help is appreciated.
  2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I would search for one on ebay...

3. Bikes are usually sized by the length of the seat-tube, measured from the centre of the bottom-bracket (pedal-spindle) to the top of the seat-tube. Another useful dimension is the length of the top-tube. Measurements can be in cm. or inches.

- Wil
  4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Singletrack means it's a mtn bike right? Mtn bikes are measured in inches. Road bikes are for fruitcakes so they are measured in those units the Europeans use. ;)
    Anyway, IIRC, Trek's MTBs are measured center to top. That is, the vertical height from the center of the bottom bracket (the hub of the crank) to the top of the seat tube (do not measure the seatpost). Anything that is 17 to 18 is probably a Medium. 18 to 19 is considered Large. 20 is XL.

Since you're 5' 8" I will assume that you bought a medium size. A smaller bike is more agile on singletrack, but (IMO) sucks for climbing because you couldn't stretch out over the bike. There is also the issue of using a long (and flexy) seat tube to get the saddle height correct. I like a medium bike height and large top tube length that is why I had These Guys make a frame for me.

Unfortunately you will take a big hit on the selling price of this bike. Is it steel framed? Some old school riders may pay a bit for it so they can convert it to a singlespeed :)
  5. Seat tube is the standard measurment, but length of the top tube is important also. I bought my road bike large enough so I could extend my upper body out for long road trips and my mountain bike relatively small for the agility and climbing ability. The buyer's height is not a relavent component in fitting a bicycle. Inseam length, torso length, arm length compared to torso length, experience, type and style of riding are significant. I would measure the seat tube and the top tube and then let the buyers ask questions.