Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do I know how powerful my pickup is?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by AHbassist, Jan 12, 2006.

1. AHbassist

AHbassist

Sep 22, 2005
    Kennesaw, GA
    I was considering amping-up my first bass through replacing the pickup with a more powerful one. After some browsing I found a site that had what I needed, one thing that I was concerned about was buying the same pickup I already have by mistake. When I was looking at the replacement pickup I noticed the desciption included "8.0K ohms." This threw me because I thought it was impossible for a pickup to have it's own power.

Maybe I've missed something, and I'd love to hear from someone who could help me out.

This is the actual page the replacement pickup was on: http://www.allparts.com/categories.php?cat_id=618&cat_name=BASS PICKUPS

The pickup is item number: PU_0416-010

2. ohms is a measurement of resistance (or impedence, we won't get into that)...it is not a measurement of power.

power is measured in watts.

resistance is used by pickup manufacturers as an indicator of how much copper is wound around the bobbin...generally speaking, the more resistivity (more ohms), the more winds, the higher the output of the pickup.

with this said, however, it is only a GENERAL correlation, as there are other factors (like wire gauge and winding connections) that affect the overall resistivity. and in fact, it is not the resistivity that is the major factor that affects a pickup's performance, it's the pickups INDUCTANCE!

but start talking henry's and EVERYONE'S confused...so....

I hope that's clear as mud to you...

3. AHbassist

AHbassist

Sep 22, 2005
    Kennesaw, GA
    can't say I understood all of it, but you did clear up alot of unanswered questions I had. Thanx

4. by the way, if you go here

http://www.universaljems.com/cart/basspup.htm

you'll get the same pickup (same order number and everything) for almost $20 cheaper...

allparts, is reliable, but they're not necessarily the cheapest.