1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

how do i know i sanded it enough on a defret

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by benchpress11782, May 6, 2010.

1. benchpress11782

benchpress11782 Supporting Member

May 23, 2007
    I am defretting a ibanez bass with rosewood and gonna apply epoxy. How do i know i sanded it enough to bond? Do i sand it all the way? Or just rough it up a bit? And what about inlays?

thanks

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I presume you're using a radiused sanding block and not just willie-nillie sanding the consistent curvature out of your fretboard?

3. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    From the questions asked by the OP, I wouldn't presume that.

4. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Take a pencil and mark up the fingerboard. Sand LIGHTLY until the pencil marks are gone (220 grit should do this easily). That's all it takes. Excessive sanding with too much pressure will flatten the radius of the board. If you have any doubt in your sanding ability, you should sand with radius blocks (sanding blocks with a curved surface to match the radius of your fingerboard). Also, you may need to round the edges of the fingerboard slightly after sanding, but this is a matter of preference. And be sure to clean the entire fingerboard with mineral spirits and allow to dry completely before applying epoxy.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71144