Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do I know if I am pushing my shroeder mini12 cab too hard?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jun 19, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have a stewart pr 1000 which when bridged gives me 1000w into my 4 ohm shroeder mini 12+ which is rated at 500w rms.

When i was testing this combo, I had a very large amount of volume going thru the cab a few times, but I never saw the clip lights on the poweramp even flicker. Given that the driver in the mini is angled its difficult to see how much the driver is moving and therefore it is perhaps easier to neglect it.

So to be sure I dont blow the speaker should i have the poweramp volume maxed and then adjust the preamp volume accordingly or should i have the preamp maxed and adjust the poweramp volume only?

I am guessing given that i want maximum headroom i should have the poweramp maxed, correct?

2. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Yep. Power amp at max and adjust pre.

Since you've got 2x your cab rating in watts, as long as the cab isn't distorting you're fine. Once it starts to distort, pull back or sit tight, but don't go much further...