how do i know if my pickups are not well please

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FractalUniverse, Apr 29, 2004.

1. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    i have a set of dimarzios model js(humbucking), and it seems that they are out of phase, cause when the two volume knobs are up the sound gets thin(with less gain) and with a natural flanger chorus-wah effect, harmonics die, and it seems that some fqs are lost.....

do someone has a wiring picture/drawing of these pups cause the info on the dimarzio site is not the best.
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    For What It's Worth:

Only messed with one phase switch but it seemed when the volumes were equal at any setting it sounded full, with the volumes unequal in adjustment then it became thin. I didn't find it of much use so yanked it. At any rate, in my recollection, all you'd have to do is reverse one set of your pickups wires - for two lead pup. If it's 4 wire, not sure but I know the pups I had the switch in were Dimarzion 4 wire DP 126 PJs. You might try a search to turn up some specifics. I would have also thought there'd be a phase switch since wiring pups out of phase is not common to my knowledge - unless somebody just screwed up. Also, I know with some switching on HBs if the poles on the pups aren't facing the right direction you can get some weird things.

As for the battery going down and doing that, mine would distort before a blatantly apparent volume drop occurred so never had that experience personally. But if it's doing it now and wasn't before the battery is a possibility. Always check the quick, simple, cheap, painless stuff first (esp batteries and cords), whether you think it's that or not.
  3. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    uhm thanks for the answers...the pups are not active

i'm going to take the bass to a local luthier, the only problem is that this luthier is not like the best one for i'm kinda worried.... anyway, i think that the pickups by themselves are not what i'm looking for in a bass... so i'm thinking in taking them out, but i need those pups fixed...cause i don't want to sell something that has problems.
    but don't know.... the only pups i can find here are emgs.... :meh:
  4. Just reverse the ground and hot wires for one of the pickups...
  5. elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX

when you come back from the luthier please tell me what's wrong. I have that Flanger effect on a bass, with very little gain, just as you describe it. Id like to know what's wrong.