1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do I know if my Thumb bass is German or Korean

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PabloSanz, Nov 30, 2018.

1. PabloSanz

PabloSanz

Oct 11, 2018
    Johannesburg
    FB_IMG_1543565831369. Hi everyone,

I got myself a sweet little 2002 Thumb BO 5 (serial on headstock E-089054-02), fairly used and bruised, in for a proper overhaul (tuners and new just a nut) and set up right now.

So I did'nt even know there were Korean made thumb basses (maple neck and high gloss finishes on the body) labelled as Pro Series. Seeing as that what is written on my head stock, may I presume that my 2002 is a Korean?

I must mention my bass has black hardware (bridge and tuners), a natural oil finish and the neck also does'nt look anything like maple? I also did'nt have the bass for long enough to properly inspect the frets being brass or nickle.

Thanks in advanced bass fam!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  2. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I thought the Korean Pro-Series began in about 2011 and was short lived to about 2013 or so.
    According to your SN, I believe it is an 02? Should be German.
    This is a snap shot of a 2011 Korean headstock w/SN
    mlzicd8qyzijdownlldv.

PabloSanz likes this.
  3. It's no Korean

PabloSanz likes this.
  4. PabloSanz

PabloSanz

Oct 11, 2018
    Johannesburg
    So it seems that SN starting with letter A-M, are German made?

Thanks for that, I don't think we got any Korean made Thumbs shipped down here to South Africa.

5. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Take it to a restaurant.

If it orders the kimchi instead of the bratwurst it’s Korean.

6. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    PabloSanz likes this.
  7. PabloSanz

PabloSanz

Oct 11, 2018
    Johannesburg
    That is somewhat identical to my bass, they are something to look at aren't they ;)

So can we conclude that Korean thumbs have gloss/satin finishes on the body?

eastcoasteddie likes this.
  8. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I know that with the Korean Pro Series is when they first introduced color and high-polish options on the Thumb, but I’m not sure if they were all HP or if Satin was also available.

PabloSanz likes this.
  9. Blankandson

Blankandson Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Gallatin, Tennessee
    My 2008 Corvette $$ 5-string has Ovangkol neck, wenge finger board, and ash body. Ovangkol is a nice smooth finish, wenge is a chocolate color with hundreds of really tiny holes. (So don't clean with steel wool !) Ash on mine is a shinny black (Nirvana Black) and it came with all black hardware. So there there have been a few variations over the years.