Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do I know that bass is right for me

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kalo, Apr 22, 2005.

1. kalo

kalo

Jul 29, 2003
    Hi all,

I want to thank EVERYONE for helping me. You are all so cool and this forum is great as well...Lot of awesome information!!!

However, I need some advise...Only this time it's not about what kind of bass should I get or theory....Let me explain:

I have been a guitarist for 6 years. I have a great teacher who has helped me become a good guitarist not a great one but good one....I practice all the time...

Recently, or should I say a year ago my teacher who is also a AWESOME bass player (totally respects the role and DOESN'T play bass like a guitar player) told me that I should start studying bass seriously as there is more demand for GOOD bass players...

Here is my problem I can physically play bass, but I don't know if I have the HEART of a bass player....Don't get me wrong I love bass and totally respect it's role in music....But I don't want to give up guitar playing either.

There are some days were I will say YEAH, I can totally dig being a bass player and then there are days where I am still a guitar player listening to Jimi Hendrix, and flamenco music, etc.

I did a lot of soul searching and I feel that the reason why I want to place bass is to be able to play in a band with others.

Here in AZ, there is more demand for GOOD bass players....But is that a good enough reason for me to play bass...

When I listen to music I hardley never say wow, that low end is awsome...I more attracted to what the guitar is doing...However, when I learn the bass lines on my bass I can dig that too....

Alot of friends and family know me a good guitarist not a bass player....

Is it possible to be good at both instruments and not worry about having to give up one to get good at another instrument....

I usually have two hours a night to practice and what I do now is practice an hour of guitar then an hour of bass....

P.S. I am not one of these guitar players who want to show off on bass....I have nothing but HIGH respect for bass players.....

Thanks for reading and I hope to get some insight...Maybe even from some guitarist who have turned to playing bass.....Kalo!!!

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Guess what, I started on the guitar too! I played guitar for a couple of years, but I didn't invest alot of time in it. Thus, I stayed pretty basic. I liked guitarplaying, but I didn't have the same feeling picking up a guitar as when I picked up my neighbours bass (which he didn't play). It's hard to describe, but when I picked up bass, it felt like home... :)

The music: I know what you mean, before I played bass the only band I knew with a descent bassplayer was RHCP. But, when I started playing bass I 1: started listening to what the bass was doing, and noticing basslines that I didn't notice before. 2: I started listening to music with prominent bassplayers, both bands and soloartists. You are right about the heart of a bassplayer, I think it's something in you, not something that you can train. Just pick up a bass, and if you feel confortable with it, the go with it. Making that decision wether bass is your instrument is something you and only you can decide.

About practicing; say, if you are practicing 8 hours of guitar a day, it's pretty impossible to add another 8 I think, it all depends on how much time you practice on guitar I guess.

Hope this was of help...

edit; decision is with one S :ninja:

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Yes!

I think that, at the very least, playing bass with a group (or several) will give you a new perspective on your guitar playing. Having a full rhythm section behind you is a completely different feeling that being a _part_ of the rhythm section. You might learn things about guitar by trying to support someone else who is playing guitar.

Who knows, you might just need to start playing and once you do, the bass bug might bite.

4. I started out playing bass, but there was no one to play with. I learned guitar just so I could jam with friends. The first real band I was in I was playing bass, and then the first "big" band I was in I was playing guitar. I never stopped playing either. I've always been a better bass player (that's not saying a lot!), but there have been times that I've been much more comfortable behind a guitar. For several years I was playing bass in one or two bands and guitar in one. It wasn't until I wasn't playing guitar that I got much more comfortable playing bass. Again, I've always known I'm better at bass. I think one of the things that really tipped me off that I'm much more of a bass player was something a friend said of himself: 'my guitar lines sound like a bass player playing guitar.'

5. kalo

kalo

Jul 29, 2003
    Thanks guys!!!!! I means so much to me to have all of your opinions....I guess there is no reason why I can't do both...

After all, I have only been playing guitar for 6 years...So, it's not like a life time....And maybe, your all right about getting the bass bug....Or, possibly bass helping me to improve in my guitar playing......Thanks again, Kalo!

6. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Not really GI, moved to Misc.

7. I too started out on guitar. I've been playing that for 5 years or so. I still suck at it, but less than when I first began to play.
    A while back a friend of mine handed me his bass and said "here play this line" he showed me, I played it, I fell in love with bass. I didn't get around to buying one until a few months ago however.
    To me playing bass just seems to come a bit more naturally and I think its helped me a little bit on my guitar playing as well, and guitar has helped me with bass a little bit.
    So by all means, play both! It never hurts to be able to play multiple instruments.

8. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I started on bass, never stopped bass, but I had a guitar period in between. I became pretty good at guitar (self taught). It was my second instrument. But I sold it because I was really a bass player, and guitar just didn't feel as fun.

9. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    this is a tough one for me.Ii have been playing guitar for over 14 years (still not very good though) and i picked up bass about 8 months ago. as with the initial poster, i felt bass was much more in demand for playing in a band and it is, but it is truly different. i feel torn b/n the two instruments. i love to play bass especially with my band, but guitar just seems more versatile to me. i mean one really cant sing bob dylan songs while just playing bass. i love to sing folk songs and that doesnt go well with bass. i also find it alot harder to play bass by myself, but with guitar no problems. i only have so much time to play music. lately i am playing bass more b/c i have to in order to fulfill my responsibilities with the band. playing in a band is second only to sex in terms of fun. therefore i always want to be in a band. however, i will never be a great guitar player. i chose bass because of this and i am liking it more and more.

10. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    As far as I know there is no law that states one must be EITHER a guitar player or bass player. While I consider myself a bassist first I know I still spend a lot of time with a guitar in hand, and I've also been in several bands as a lead guitarist since I picked up the bass.

If you aren't happy with either one alone just play both. I find that I get a better understanding of a given song, even the songs I write myself, when I force myself to consider it from both perspectives.

11. Ruffus-hound

Ruffus-hound

Apr 6, 2005
    I too started as a guitarist.picked up the bass because I lost part of my left forefinger, and the wide spacing on bass was easyer for me to rehab on. I still pick around on guitar but now consider my self a basest
    1st. I find that an understanding of guitar has expanded my bass playing, and alowed my to be a more valuble assett to my band.

12. I play guitar and have done so for 15 years. But I started out my musical journey on a bass. Last year I decided that I was going over to a friends house to jam on bass instead of guitar (like usual) and fell in love with it. It doesn't hurt to know that being able to play both instruments fairly well helps you get work and you can jump in just about anywhere. I think I am a bass player at heart. I could rip a crazy solo on the guitar but never cared too. I've always loved the low end at concerts and when jamming I liked to lock up with the bass player and let someone else go crazy. But I still play guitar as well. I'm working on a home studio so I'll be able to play all parts needed except for drums which will be fun and educational.

Good luck and always follow your heart!