1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do I know what amp I need?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lowpro, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    Long story short, GC is having a sale on amps, ends at the end of October. I want an amp to replace my lile 60W drive combo, which isn't too good at all. I want something with oomph. I don't gig, but I still play by myself, trying new things, and I hope someday to play with friends. I was thinking a 2x10 combo, 180W, but then, I don't really know if I even want that. I don't mind buying a halfstack but within a 400 dollar price range on this specific sale.

I also recently bought me a Spector 98 NS-4CR.

2. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    for $400 i would recommend getting something used. You could get a great combo for that much. I would suggest 150 or more watts so you could jam with a band or even do some gigs with the amp.

the more info you give us the better we can help you. What kind of bass do you play? what kind of music do you play? what kinda band do you want to play with? what tone are you looking for?

3. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    In a perfect world I'd be (able to) play with a band more on the side of metalcore, OR prog rock, ie Tool, Rammstein, Dream Theatre. I play a Spector NS-4CR, and I switch in and out of Dropped D whenever I need to. I mean, really I just want an amp where if I'm like "Hey need a bass" and the other guy's like "Sure, come tomorrow, bring your own amp." And when I bring my amp, no one gripes or moans about it. I don't wanna feel inadequate about my amp, I just don't need that grief >.<

This one I "think" is one i've actually plugged into before, but not with my bass ( I was trying out some basses just for kicks)

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_gallienkrueger_backline_115_combo?full_sku=103055968

I can remember that one because it's a Gallien Kreugar. And also, this sale is pretty damn good it seems, a big price cut across the board on a lot of instruments and equipment.

Also in the For Sale: Amps, there is this thread, and that amp seems to be pretty decent.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283646

4. Seriously, you can't go wrong with a Peavy.

Also, if they're on sale, you might want to consider something from the Fender Bassman line. The Rumbles are REALLY nice for the price, although the wattage might not be adequate for your needs.

5. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    +1

snag that thing on the classifieds. That amp is MONEY. Plus you can save $100 and throw that towards some other piece of gear. That thing looks exactly like what you're looking for.

6. Try to get a combo that will let you add an extension cab.
    This will give you more options if you find a combo isn't loud enough once you start gigging.
    Justin from Tool has recently switched to GK so I'm sure that would suit your sound.