Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do I know when one or more strings are dead?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassin4him, Jul 30, 2002.

1. bassin4him

bassin4him

Apr 29, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    How do I know when one or more strings are dead? I'm sure there is a thread in here somewhere that addresses this, but searching for "dead strings" yields way too much to wade through. If you know about such a thread, please let me know.

I've been playing bass for less than a year, and I'm experiencing an intonation problem with my D string. When playing on the 7th to 10th fret, or thereabouts, the string goes noticably sharp when plucked and then settles back into tune. I've only noticed this in the last couple of weeks.

Do dead strings always exhibit intonation problems? Or do they just loose their bright sound? What are the symptoms of a string that should be replaced? :confused:

2. bassin4him

bassin4him

Apr 29, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Is the answer to this question just too obvious that no one is responding with a post? Maybe I'm just stupid for asking, but I really don't know the answer.

Doesn't anyone have any thoughts about this?

3. It isn't always one definite answer....but what I have been going on (im new too) is this: If my bass starts to sound sh11ty and it isn't the EQ settings' fault (as in, the amp used to sound good under the same settings), I check my setup. If the cables and everything else is still working and its been awhile since i changed strings, I change 'em. If it hasn't been that long since I last changed strings, I more thoroughly go over my amp and other stuff. If the problem still isn't solved, I become Cornell University's only official gigolo (The BIG RED HE-B1TCH) and raise some more to buy more stuff. :D :cool: :) :p

4. "dead" is a relative term...
    For some, strings are dead when they lose their initial brightness... for others, there's not a need to change 'em until you break one - old string thump is best.

I fall right in the middle.... I like a string that's lost it's initial "pingy" brightness, but hasn't lost it's round full tone either....