1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do I know when the amps clipping if there's no clip-light?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nanne, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Nanne

Nanne

Feb 28, 2005
    Netherlands
    Hi all,

I've bought a Hartke 3500 a few days ago (great amp btw) but I noticed it doesn't have a light that indicates when it's clipping like my old amp. How do I know when it has reached its limit now? Am I fine until speakers start moving or farting or something? Isn't that dangerous?

Thanks in advance,
    Nanne

2. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    In the absence of any sort of visual indicator you're forced to use your ears.

and yeah, it's a little on the risky side depending on the cab you use.

I play mostly Acme and you hear any distortion anywhere in the signal change as soon as it starts. I have other cabs that that you can clip pretty dang hard before you can even begin to hear it.

I'm not all that familiar with Hartke heads but I would think you could reference relative output by the compressor light. If it's on and turned low you should be getting close to the edge when it starts clamping down.

3. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    +1 ,
    You have to trust your ears on this one.
    If you are really worried , you could get a limiter or a good compressor , but still you will have to listen if somethings wrong.

4. Nanne

Nanne

Feb 28, 2005
    Netherlands
    Thanks for the replies!

I think I'll keep an eye on the compressor light then. Let's hope it works :D

Nanne

5. That's not going to give you any indication whatsoever of clipping - just of compression.

Any clipping bad enough to potentially cause damage will sound very unpleasant: You'll know something is wrong.

Speakers will move well before clipping occurs - that's how they generate sound after all.