1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How do I link my two GK1001RB heads to make my own RIG of DOOM?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by REME7178, Mar 10, 2013.

1. I was looking through the photos and reading the RoD threads, and I saw a lot of photos that just looked like a bunch of gear piled, clumped, and thrown together to make some sort of or the appearance of some super bass monstrosity. I also saw a few that seemed well put together, neat, and legitimate/professional. I saw a photo of one rig that stood out to me and fit the discription of what I would want my RoD to emulate, it was what seemed to be two Gallien Kruger 700RB heads linked together with one 2x15(maybe Ampeg) bass cab mated to each head. I have two Gallien Kruger 1001RB heads, and two Ampeg SVT 610HLF bass cabs. I also have a 8 space SKB rack with a Korg tunner and a Furman power conditioner to mount the two GK heads into. I want to know how to link the two GK heads together so that I can have basically the same no frills all thrills set I saw in the photo, thus my own RoD.

Note: I know that I can hook both 610 cabs to my SVT Classic if I drop it down to 2ohm, but I do not want to do that, I want to do this.

Someone kind of explained to me what to do in the RoD thread, but I am still a little fuzy. What am I looking at in the photo as it pertains to what's going on with the two GK heads?

This is the photo from RoD thread part 4.

Attached Files:

2. Argali

Argali Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Just curious - how the heck do you drag a rig like that around to gigs?

3. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    Simplest way I could think to do it would be to set up both heads with both cabs separately and use a ABY box to split your bass signal into the frontend of each.

Then you could run each head as a separate eq. The results could be pretty interesting.

4. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Run a patch cord from the effects send of amp A to the effects return of amp B.

5. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    +1 - this

6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I like this better I think it would eliminate anything potentially funky going on and you could have one dirty and one clean.

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    that will give you basically one GK pre running both power amps, for the same sound from each stack.

if you want to do some sort of clean/dirty thing, you could do the same thing, but run effects between the out from the one amp and the in of the other; you could even run the effected send into the front of the second amp, so you could then EQ it differently than the first one.

8. Thanks everyone I appreciate all the replys, I think I might try to run the patch between the FX send and return right now. I am going to look for this ABY box so i can see how that sounds. Thanks again. BTW whats going on in the photo with the two GK heads?

9. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Use a small mixer.

L out to one amp.

R out to the other.

Then you could hook up several basses to the inputs if you
    have them.

10. Thanks, I went out and got a Morley Tripler and set it all up. The Rig of Doom is menacing.

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The Morley pedal is passive, and may disapoint you. Running 2 OUTS at the same time can load one down, causing a level difference between them, (one amp loud, the other not). A better solution is to use an active, or buffered AB box. Lehle is a good brand, as is Radial. The buffer is the answer.

12. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Very good advice.

13. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    This is very true.

14. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Effects send to front of second pre not recommended.

15. Thanks to everyone for all the good advice. I looked into the Lehle switch, but I haven't returned the Tripler judt yet.