Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do i load a 3/4th size bass into a car?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Tucker87, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Tucker87

Tucker87

Feb 15, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Hey-

I need a little help. I'm used to carting my bass around in my friends truck, but he cannot give me a lift any longer. I have a class up at the community college and i need to get my bass there in a car. How do i load it? i'm sure it can fit...somehow. Its got two front folding down seats, and a solid back seat. Its a midsize car, not compact, not huge, so i need some help with someone experienced in this area. Thanks in advance.

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Someone reported it is possible to transport a DB by reclining the passenger seat fully and laying the DB in it on its side. Depends on what car I guess if that works.

3. This is a great way to transport a bass, IMHO. It would have to be a pretty tiny car not to be able to swallow a bass this way. If you have a bench seat you may even be able to lay the DB on its back - better visibility and stability.

4. alstar

alstar

Feb 10, 2002
    that always worked for me. i fit my bass into a little two door cavalier with the passenger seat reclined, body in the back seat, and me sitting in the passenger seat. there should be plenty of room.

5. In an Acura coupe, I would drop the passenger seat back, lay the bass on the seat, bottom facing front, neck facing rear. No problem.

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  7. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    One addition to Don's suggestion. Make sure that the head is not resting on the back seat, too much pressure. Adjust your front seat so the weight of the bass is resting on the back of the bass near the neck block. I also use the seat belt. I place the lap belt over the end pin, and the shoulder strap fits over the top.

8. 1. passenger seat as far forward as it will go
    2. remove head-rest from passenger seat
    3. fully recline passenger seat
    4. gently lift bass (end-pin first) through the door so that the pin is facing the rear of the car, and the scroll is in the passenger footwell (helps if you recline driver's seat - don't worry, you can adjust it again when the bass is on-board)
    5. lay bass on the reclined passenger-seat, ON ITS BACK so that the neck IS NOT TOUCHING ANYTHING (MOST IMPORTANT)
    6. fasten seat-belt (snugly) over front of bass - ouch - not too tight!
    7. ready to roll (VROOOOOM!)

- Wil

PS: I have a Toyota Corolla, and my bass fits with no problems; my bass teacher has a Honda Civic (smaller than my car) and he never has a problem transporting basses in this fashion!