How do I lower the action?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 311 fan, Nov 7, 2000.

1. 311 fan

311 fan

Sep 24, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    I have a GSR 200 JB and I really love it. But the action is really high. That means the strings are to high off the neck. Its really slowing down my playing. Can you list all suggestions please?
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This is getting confusing as you have posted this in about 5 different places now! But in the other thread on this page you said : "Its really slowing down my playing and giving a lot of BUZZ,to. What do you think? Thanx."

Buzz is usually caused by too low an action, so it seems pretty strange. I think it would have been better to stick to one place and just replied to what people have said rather than posting a new Topic every time.

Most people have already replied to the various threads, that if you have done something to the neck ("screwed" it?) then it's probably best to take it to a setup person.

Usually you can lower the action by using the saddles on the bridge, but this might well just give you more fret buzz
    and could make the bass unplayable.

Also without knowing the bass in question, it's impossible to say how the action should be best lowered or if it can at all. You need to have the bass in front of you really to see what the neck looks like and the methods of adjustment - bridge, nut and truss rod, for example - you just can't do this over the internet and anyone giving advice who hasn't played this particular bass, is just gong to be guessing.