How do I maintain my Fender Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dragen, Sep 12, 2000.

1. Dragen

Aug 31, 2000
    I just bought a new bass and I haven't got a clue on how to maintain it. I want to keep it in a good condition........preferably forever. Any tips?

2. TitaniumAngel

Aug 30, 2000
    First of all, if you have a rosewood fretboard, remove the strings and clean the fretboard lenghtwise with 0000-grade steel wool, to remove finger crud, youll want to put maskning tape on the pickups beforehand, so that any tiny steel particles dont stick to the pickups. While you have the strings off, use a bit (a VERY small amount, a drop should cover a few frets) of lemon oil (Old English works allright for this) to keep the fretboard from getting to dry and cracking, or any other problems that are caused by an excessively dry fretboard. Youll want to do this every six months to a year or so, depending on how often you play.
    If you have a maple fretboard, you can still do this, but you will end up de-glossing the finish, but some people (myself included) prefer a de-glossed fretboard. If you would like to keep your glossy finish, you can use a toothbrush to remove any finger crud. In either case, you can use a small peice of 0000-grade steel wool to go over the frets to re-polish them (crosswise). If you want to do this, you should do it sparringly, and before you have gone over the fretboard lengthwise, so you can remove any scratches.
    As for the body, there are a lot of cleaners out on the market that are specifically for guitars or basses, find whichever one you like the best.
    To prolong your string life, you should wipe your strings off after any session, blitz cloths work well for this.
    If you are traveling with your bass, loosen the strings so that they are limp. This places less strain on the neck, and helps prevent it from breaking if something happens.
    Tune your stings in this order: 1)D 2)A 3)G 4)E. This will add tension equally to the neck, and even though I havn't heard of any basses that had a neck warp happen do to string tension being added unevenly, it is a possibility that it could happen over time.
    I wouldn't recomend messing with the truss rod, unless you know what you are doing. If you do not know what you are doing, you could adversely affect the neck, and royally foul up your action.
    Any other things I can think of fall into the action/set-up category, and take a long time to explain, and are things that can be done for you by any guitar tech.

Hope that helps.
  3. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    If you dont already have one get a case for it! That is the single most important thing you can do to preserve the life of your bass!!