how do i make a fretless?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by somethintosay, Aug 13, 2001.

1. i have heard of people talking about making a fretless bass from a fretted with something about an iron.i cant afford another bass so i'd like to know.
  2. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
  3. If you cannot afford another bass, then I would suggest not doing it right now. Check out some fretless basses first, to see if you like it. Fretless is cool, but you need to develope a good ear. Once you rip out the frets, you cant go back.
  4. thats true basseddie but i have already played other fretless and i like fretless better.even so, i dont get lost when i play because i know my bass so i dont need to look anyway.
  5. thanks a lot bizzaro!!! thats just what i wanted to know and i might just do it
  6. hey something to say, i didnt mean to offend you, just trying to make sure that you know what you are getting into. If you have tried fretless and are comfortable, then go for it.
    I made my mim jazz into a fretless, not difficult but requires patience. I think has an article on removing frets, so does
    good luck and welcome to talk bass. Do a search of the archives here also. Lots of good info.
  7. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Sage Advice. If it is your only bass and you screw it up you will be SOL. The mike lull site is a good one and there is a recent thread that has a bunch of good stuff in it. Good Luck. :cool:
  8. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i pondered this the other day:
    is it possible to just file down the fret to the fingerboard, so the fingerboard would be flat.
  9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Yes. Start todayand devote every waking hour to the task and you'll have yourself a nice Christmas present.

I have played a bass that a friend did that to. It took him forever but worked fine. Only problem is that the slightest board erosion from play leaves little metal edges which not only make funny noises, they cut fingers and tear up strings. He was constantly sanding the board.

Replacing them with wood is a better choice.
  10. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I chose the grind down option on my fretless.
    It took me 3-4 hours and came out great.

I use roundwounds and haven't had any problems. (yet). But then, it only gets used one show and probably two hours practice a week and the occaisional session.